Train travel in Great Britain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know how much luggage you can carry on board a train traveling from Edinburgh to London. Can you carry golf clubs and one piece of luggage with a carryon? How much room is there? Would it be better to ship clubs to and from home in PA?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Luggage should not be limited beyond your limit to control. Hence Bike and Outboard motor and golf clubs would be concidered too much. So one big bag and clubs is ok. Room depends on other people, you get the share of an overhead that you can win, space between seats and shelving at each end. So if carrying loads avoid the rush hour times
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you can take what you can carry yourself. So if you can schlepp the clubs, suitcase and carry-on up and down stairs and on to the train then you can take them.

But especially w/ golf clubs - I'd definitely consider flying instead and checking the clubs. Airfares can be as cheap or often cheaper than trains.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Your chances of losing your clubs are increased substantially by going via plane vs. train. Especially if they're nice Pings or Callaways.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Robespierre, looks like the play ground monitor pulled your thread on free guides. It must have gotten nasty.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

One of our party suggested flying but I was afraid we'd miss too much scenery. Also, we may stop in York. I guess if the men can handle their clubs and one bag we should be okay on the train. Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:16 PM

I don't know what happened, fmpden. I quit when <b>The Cooler</b> came on the telly, and didn't look again until this morning.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Travelling from Edinburgh by train just before Christmas, they announced time and time again that baggage in excess of the shelving provided HAD to be stored in the Guard's Van. They came through frequently enforcing this. I don't think there is any form of security on the Guard's Van and so anything stolen would be at your own risk
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You will only see a little decent scenery up at the Borders/Northumberland end of the journey. Most of the rest of the route is dreary to downright ugly.

you'll have to stow the clubs/luggage w/ EuropCar left luggage at York station if you stop there. I think it runs &pound;6 per item
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Hi,
We just did some good train rides in the UK. I would aviod rush hour as it's hard to find seats during these times let alone somewhere to park your luggage. As far as I know there are NO luggage restrictions.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM

&lt;&lt;&lt; As far as I know there are NO luggage restrictions. &gt;&gt;&gt;

Yes there are, for example &quot;You may take up to three items of luggage (two large and one small) on board with you. If you have more than this, please see a member of staff about placing the extra items in the Guard's Van - please note there may be a charge for this. &quot;

http://www.gner.co.uk/GNER/YourJourn...ourjourney.htm
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:42 PM

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
Travelling from Edinburgh by train just before Christmas, they announced time and time again that baggage in excess of the shelving provided HAD to be stored in the Guard's Van
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

was that during december's fog when domestic flyers were diverted onto trains? if so, these were drastic measures taken during a time of great overcrowding on the trains.

i have never seen any checks on baggage....and while official rules exist, i believe they are only in force to prevent major abuse (far beyond normal clubs and bags).
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:18 PM

This was on Sunday 17th December. Whilst I remember the fog I don't remember when it was.
The train was Edinburgh to Plymouth so not too many airports on that route. The impression I was left with was that this was a normal announcement on a full long-distance train.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Edinburgh - Plymouth would be on the Virgin Voyager, which was heavily criticized for its small luggage space when it was first introduced. Don't know if they had done anything to alleviate that.

But Edinburgh - London would be on GNER's different stock.

The fog came in around 12/18-21 or so.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:33 PM

Virgin Cross Country have done nothing to improve their ineptly misdesigned trains - which might be OK for short commuter routes if they ever bothered turning up, but are totally unsuitable for journeys people take real luggage on.

Posters contemplating using Virgin Atlantic Airlines might reflect for a monent that the same grinning self-publicist who subjects my mother in law to torture every time she takes his monopoly apology for a railway company is the same buffoon who's behind the airline.

Which, ever since its computer assigned me a seat someone had already been assigned, I'd wouldn't use if the alternative were swimming the Atlantic.