Reload this Page >

Train travel from Amsterdam to Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Susan

We (family of 4) will be travelling from Canada to Amsterdam We plan to spend 1 week in the Netherlands and 1 week in Italy. <BR>We would like to take the train from Amsterdam to Venice and spend 3 days in Venice 3 days in Florence ,Sienna area and 2 days in Rome <BR>What trains are recommended and what route? we plan to buy a eurorail pass we would like to enjoy the scenery on the way so prefer not to fly. Are we been too ambitious ? <BR>any suggestions re trains, accomodations sightseeing etc would be greatly appreciated. Thank you <BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 06:52 PM
elvira

Your itinerary is very ambitious; you'll be on a train for over 16 hours between Amsterdam and Venice. <BR> <BR>You can do it two ways: all day time, or part day/overnight train. <BR> <BR>To do all daylight, you'll probably have to stay overnight in another city, then catch the next day's morning train. <BR> <BR>Example: Amsterdam to Paris on morning one, spend the day in Paris and stay over night, then catch a morning train to Venice. I went via Lausanne, Switzerland, and it was a beautiful trip. If you wanted to do it all in one shot, then afternoon train to Paris, and pick up the night train, arrive Venice the next morning. <BR> <BR>You could also go via Munich, but that would be a night train Munich, then pick up a morning train to Venice.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 07:12 PM
Bob

Try this web site for train schedules: "http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/detect.exe/bin/query.exe/e" Enter Venice as Venezia. I'm showing a 16 hour minimum for the trip but maybe you can find something shorter. If you take one of the night trains, that may not be as bad. I believe that KLM is the only airline with direct flights between the cities but that may be an expensive option.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 08:42 PM
Rex

If you want to enjoy the scenery, there are some great scenic places you can go once you are in Italy. <BR> <BR>Instead of spending close to $2000 CAD on Eurailpasses, spend 710 BEF ($24 CAD) per person to fly from Brussels (Charleroi) to Venice (Treviso) on www.ryanair.com - - then once you're in Italy, buy a kilometric ticket and keep at least $1000 CAD in your pocket. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 10:28 PM
Tony

Susan.. <BR> <BR>If you really wish to make the journey by train in order to see the countryside (and I would too if I were you), then it is virtually essential to break your journey for one night somewhere on the way - probably in Switzerland. <BR>The best way from Amsterdam to Venice is through Holland, Germany and Switzerland to Italy. Here is a suggested itinerary - there are many more options, but I feel this is the most logical. <BR>Day One. Depart Amsterdam 0755, arriving Lucerne 1705, change at Basle, or Depart Amsterdam 0855, arriving Lucerne 1805, changing at Cologne and Basle. The changes are easy by the way. <BR>This trip will give you a good run through Holland, but the most scenic stretch is between Cologne and Mainz in the Rhine Valley, which is fabulous. <BR>Day Two. Depart Lucerne 0918, arrive Venice 1657, change at Arth Goldau, which is only a short distance from Lucerne, and then settle back for a scenic wonderland through Switzerland, on the second train, which carries Observation Cars in lst.Class. <BR>All the trains mentioned have refreshments and dining cars, or you can take your own picnics, which are easily bought at the stations. <BR>Email me if I can help further.