Train travel = Budapest to Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP!!! We need to travel from Budapest to Prague on Sat 14th June and am having difficulty in purchasing tickets from Australia. RailEurope is VERY expensive and the Hungarian website wont let me print out from here. Flights are expensive.
Can anyone assist with a website that is easy to navigate???
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 04:05 AM

Try the Czech site. If you get a message about having to pick up tickets at the station then close your browser and try again. Sometimes I get an error message and sometimes I don't.

https://www.cd.cz/eshop/
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 01:34 PM

Don't print out. Buy the tickets and say you will pick up in Budapest. The site should let you do that - and be much cheaper than RailEurope.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 01:42 PM

If it is a full fare ticket then you could easily buy that once in Budapest - only buy ahead if it saves money.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

@adrienne. I tried the website and this is the message I received:

"It is not possible to purchase a separate ticket for the journey from a foreign location to the Czech Republic."

@nytraveler. I knew about the not printing, however it wont allow me to even purchase them online.

PalenQ. They are full fare tickets & I read some where that if you purchase 3 days in advance they are cheaper!!! not sure!!
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all, went back to MAV site and worked through site slowly & methodically and found success!!!
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 09:42 AM

looking to buy a one way and not sure how to do that on the MAV site - same route - budapest to prague - any ideas? thanks.
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 12:07 PM

looking to buy a one way and not sure how to do that on the MAV site - same route - budapest to prague - any ideas? thanks.>

See if www.seat61.com has any dope on that - the guru of discounted ticketing and online ticketing.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 07:12 AM

I am trying to get a sleeper for two people (married couple) from Budapest to Prague. I emailed MAV and was told that I could not purchase a sleeper on line. I must get it in person in Budapest. Therefore--no discounts I guess. Then I read that you can go to another city about an hour away and catch a sleeper there. There are two separate tickets. I think that the other city is in Czech Republic somewhere. Does anyone have information about this?
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 11:23 AM

Sure the other cituy isn't in Slovakia? If all else fails and you can't get anything online and want to be sure of that train I'd recommend calling Byron at www.budgeteuropetravel.com - a Rail Europe agent you can talk to and see what RE is charging - porbably a lot more than in Europe though but mention just if at some point all else fails - they can only reserve two months in advance I believe.

I'd wait until Budapest as sleepers often are IME available right up to the train - couchettes more likely to sell out and you could always go in the daytime to boot. RailEurope typically charges full-fare plus a few bucks.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 08:14 AM

I also wanted to purchase tickets for 2 person sleeper car. It appears that the Hungarian site, only allows purchase of regular seats, no sleepers or couchette, despite giving all the options.

Anyway, I WAS able to book this via the, fairly straight forward Czech site: http://czech-transport.com/index.php...ickets&lang=en

I paid an extra 25E to have the tickets Fedexed to me in advance. The other options were to pick them up in Prague (which makes no sense, since I'll be in Budapest) or they will send to my hotel. I did not see an option to pick them up in Budapest. I decided the shipping cost is worth it. I didn't want to wait until I arrive in Budapest for fear that 2 person sleepers would be sold out.