Reload this Page >

Train Transfer Help

Search

Train Transfer Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 03:07 AM
CJ

Train Transfer Help

Need advice on how to most effectively get from the Gare de Lyon to Gare Montparnasse. About how much time to allow for making train reservations? Traveling with family including 2 boys 8 and 12 years old. Thanks

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 02:04 PM
Tony

With a family of four I think I'd take a cab - it is'nt all that far, probably not much more that $10, and about 10-15 minutes, providing the queue for the cabs is'nt too long.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 03:48 PM
Bob Brown

Hi CJ. Last year, we stayed in a hotel very close to Gare Montparnasse and left from Gare de Lyon. After considering the options, I ordered a taxi even though it was relatively expensive. The amount of time for the transfer between the two stations is a function of the time of day that you try to do it. If your attempt is between 4:30 and 6:30 PM, Paris has a "crush" hour just like American cities. The trip could be more than 40 minutes. <BR> <BR>There is a bus, #91 if memory serves me correctly, between the two stations, but carrying luggage on Paris buses is not my idea of an easy way to travel. The Metro is equally unfriendly in my opinion, and there is no direct connection between Gare de Lyon and Gare Montparnasse. That leaves the more expensive, but easier alternative of a taxi. <BR>You did not say how many there are in your party, but I am assuming there are 4 of you. If you go by taxi, try to pick out a big one in the rank -- e.g. a Mercedes. Paris taxis are not obligated to take more than 3 people, but the voice of reason says that 2 adults and 2 children would fit in a Mercedes and that it would be idiotic to split a family!! Hopefully someone else will comment on this. (I am not trying to scare up a boogie man here that does not exist.)

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 03:51 PM
Bob Brown

PS. I am not sure I understand what you are asking about reservation time. <BR>If you arrive at Gare de Lyon by train, would you not already have your continuation tickets for the train from Montparnasse. I bought my tickets in advance for two trips at Montparnasse the first day I was in Paris.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 07:09 PM
elvira

<BR>CJ: the time at the ticket window to make your reservations is minimal - less than 10 minutes, closer to 5. Just like anyplace else, the line in front of you could take 15-30 minutes to get through if you hit at a busy time. <BR> <BR>Like Bob Brown, I have my reservations well before I leave - either bought from home through my travel agent, or at any train station in France.