Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train/Train/Bus or just drive from Rome to Amalfi coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some quick replies, I've got to get my plans finalized before tomorrow.

We will be flying into Rome, staying 2 nights there, 3 nights on the Amalfi coast and then going to Tuscany for 3 nights, the last night is still up in the air but we have a 9:30 am flight out of Rome.

Everyone suggests taking public transportation from Rome to Amalfi, but that means a train from Rome to Naples, another train from Naples to Sorrento and then a bus. UGH! Then we have to do the reverse and pick up a car when we arrive back in Rome so we can get to Tuscany and have it there. Call me crazy but that sounds like a lot of schlepping and stress, I'm not a big fan of schedules and public transportaion.

Is it REALLY that difficult to drive from Rome to Amalfi? The hotel we may choose has free parking (Hotel Belvedere in Conci di Marini), where we could park the car and take the local bus for stops along the coast.

Which would you do? Has anyone driven this route? Is it really all that bad? We drove the road to Hana with no problem, is it worse?

Thanks for the advice, nina.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 04:17 AM
rfb

Hi Nina,

If you're the passenger, I'd say get the car; if you're the driver, by all means take the train/train/bus.

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Ummm, thanks. I think.

DH will be driving, so I don't quite understand your response. Sounds to me like you're saying that the driving is overwhelming? You think it's worth all the schlepping and connections to avoid the drive?
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 04:35 AM
ira

Hi nina,

If you drive Rome/AC you will be paying for a rental car for 3-4 days without using it.

For that price, you can take the train to/from Naples and have a limo take you to Conca de Marini and back to Naples

We used Renato Cuomo www.cuomonet.it [email protected]

I suggest that you stay in Rome your last night. Alternatively, you might be interested in the Holiday Inn EUR parc medici, between FCO and Rome. They have shuttle bus service to/from the airport and downtown.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Ira. I hadn't thought of that.

You gave me some good advice for hotels, but all of your suggestions were booked. Can I ask if you can comment on my final 2 choices? We can book Le Agavi in Positano for 205 euro, which will be more convenient to Positano, or we can book the Hotel Belvedere in Conca dei Marini, which isn't as convenient, but is also much less expensive, 145 euro/night.

Both look nice, but I'm a little concerned that conca dei marini will be too isolated. Is that a valid concern?

If you can't comment on the specific hotels, can you at least offer some pros/cons of staying in the 2 locations?

I really appreciate your help, I don't want to make the wrong choice!

Thanks again, Nina
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 06:47 AM
ira

Hi Nina,

Neither town swings. The AC is mainly for restful vacations.

Check with the hotel to make sure I am correct, but I think that the Orange bus runs between CdM and Positano, at least hourly.

In addition, the SITA bus runs through CdM as well.

See http://www.summerinitaly.com/plannin...a_sorrento.htm

I looked up both of your hotels. The Hotel Belvedere looks very nice. Has nice views from the terrace, a bar, a restaurant.

For $55 nite difference, I would stay there. You can always use the money to rent a motorcycle.

Enjoy your trip.

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira, I was leaning towards the Belvedere myself, more my style, that green astroturf around the pool at Le Agavi threw me off.

Now vespa rentals - that's a great idea!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 04:23 AM
rfb

Hi Nina,

Have been away for a few days. What I meant was that the scenery is so entrancing along the Amalfi coast that it is unfair to ask somebody else to drive and miss it. The road is in much better shape than the road to Hana but traffic is horrendous especially when there are a lot of tour buses. Better to be on the bus than to have to deal with them in a car if you're driving.

Actually, Ira's suggestion about renting the limo sounds pretty good. Mainline Italian trains are quite nice particularly if you pay the premium for first class; but the Circumvesuviana leaves much to be desired as far as comfort goes.