Search

train to sienna

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
train to sienna

We are travelling to rome the end of april and would like to see or stay one night in Siena. We will not have a car. Is there a train to Siena. Our plan was to stay in Rome for 4 nights then take the train to venice. Does stopping in Sienna make sense (if we can do it by train) on our way to Venice?
Or is it too far off the beaten track when travelling to Venice.

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:00 AM
rex

The SITA bus is much superior - - takes you up the hill into Siena. The train station is down the hill, and leaves with you with a cab ride or a formidable climb.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:04 AM
rex

The SITA bus is much superior - - takes you up the hill into Siena. The train station is down the hill, and leaves with you with a cab ride or a formidable climb.

Oh whoops - - failed to read your question carefully - - this is from Florence. You will have to get off the Rome-Venice eurostar train to go to Siena. I would only think to do this if you take the early morning train from Rome (say at or before 8:30), and then presumably settle for not getitng into Venice until quite late, into the evening - - otherwise, what would be the point of going to Siena for just 1 or 2 hours?)

And the problem with this plan is that you are paying those high Venice lodging rates, but not really seeing much (if any) of Venice on that arrival day.

How many nights are you in Venice?

There are better ways to do this, and there are worse ways, and this idea is probably not at either extreme.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:08 AM
rex

Sorry about that double post - - I should know never to trust that "stop" button... but I noticed it, and thought that it had not posted yet.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rex!

I was thinking of cutting Rome from 4 to 3 nights, then do 1 night in Sienna and then head to Venice the next morning.

Can I take the train from Rome to Sienna? sienna to Venice? if so, what is the travel time for each leg?

thanks for your advise.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:29 AM

In September, we took the bus to Siena from Rome. It's not a big difference in time but the train involves making a change in Chiusi. Also, the bus leaves you off closer to the center of town in Siena. The train station is not as centrally located in Siena. Whether you take the train or bus,I STRONGLY advise that you buy lots of scrumptious pastries or cookies at some fabulous bakery in Rome to sustain you during the trip from Rome to Siena.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 10:23 AM
ira

Hi MN,

From Rome Tiburtina Station take the SENA bus direct to Siena.

Schedule at

http://www.sena.it/ita/activenews.as...WCTTNG07866458
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

How long of a ride is it from Rome to Siena and Siena to Venice.

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 11:37 AM

For the exact times, it's best to consult the schedule that Ira provided. However, from Rome to Siena you'll need enough cookies for about a 3 hour ride...unless there is heavy traffic (and there usually is)making the trip longer. Plan accordingly.