Search

Train to Monaco

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train to Monaco

I'm taking a side trip from Genoa, Italy to just inside the French border (Menton). Then on to Monaco for the day. I have a few questions to ask:
#1 Are there any attractions near the Menton train station?
#2 Is the train station in Monte-Carlo close to the harbor, that we could walk there easy enough?
#3 When you buy a ticket for a "couchette" on the overnight train, do you also have to pay for a regular ticket?
#4 Do you have to spend the entire time in your bunk, or can you sit in a regular seat on the train?
This is all new to me, so any answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:08 PM

I'll answer #s 3 and 4.

You buy a train ticket and then a couchette berth is additional. Many overnight trains that offer couchettes do not have regular seats, especially on French trains. You have to check the type of train - that will tell you if it is a couchette/sleeping train only.

The compartments offer seating depending on what time the train leaves. If it leaves about 8:00 pm then there will be bench seating in the compartments for a while until the wagon lit conductor lets down the berths.

Trains that leave later in the evening are already made up into couchettes. If you have an upper berth you will be able to sit up on the berth. Not so in the first 2 tiers unless you're quite short. I know I can't sit on the lower berth without bending my head.

Night trains are fun! I suggest you try it at least once.
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:13 PM

I just re-read your post. You aren't planning on taking a night train from Genoa to Menton are you? They're not very far apart and I'd be surprised if a night train is an option. But maybe you're just asking generally about night trains.
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Adrienne for the info. My origin is Vicenza, Italy with a final destination of Vernazza, Italy. Since the train leaves Vicenza at 11:47pm, we'll get on the overnight train to Menton with only 1 stop near the French border. It's a 8 hour trip. Then on to Monte-Carlo. Then when we're done in Monte-Carlo, we'll hop back on the train and head to Vernazza, Italy late afternoon. Does this sound like a resonable side trip? My son has taken 3 years of French in high school & really wants to say he went to France during summer vacation.
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:54 PM

#2-I walked from the Monaco train station to the harbor but don't really remember how far it is. To get to the palace and the Oceanographic museum you need a taxi.

Unless this is already organized by a tour, I'd double check. There was some damage in the train tunnel that has not been fully repaired. I can never remember whether the problem is east of Monaco (which would affect your trip) or west. It requires getting off the train & going a ways by bus. It just makes the journey a bit longer.
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Unless you have a great desire to see Monte Carlo I wouldn't make the trip, especially if the tunnel hasn't been repaired. It sounds like a lot of traveling for very little. I would spend the time in the Cinque Terre.

You say your son wants to say he was in France but it sounds like you'll only be in Menton to change trains for Monaco. That's not much time in France. Is he going to tell his friends he saw a French train station? Is there a direct train to Monaco rather than changing in Menton that might cut down on travel time?
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:12 AM
lekker

I understand - your son wants to talk a bit of French! Menton is quite OK to spend a few hours or the night. We stayed there three times - actually becuase it was always convenient to pick up our rented car when we came from Italy - it is only 2 blocks to the Car office.Within walking distance from the station there is a wonderful market - I think every day. And it is also very easy to walk to the town centre where there are nice restaurants and a few nice little shops.

Old May 21st, 2004, 04:52 AM
pnestor

train station to harbour in Monaco is about 20 min walk. Come out of train station turn right, its all down hill from the train station to the harbour. This is something to consider when returning! I have done it a few times and found it quite a steep climb back up, will take you a lot longer to come back up.

Enjoy!