Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train to/from Paris: Big Luggage a Problem?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom and I are flying from London to Boston on our return to the states this summer. We have 2 big suitcases each. One of my mom's suitcases is above average in size. Her other one is just big, but not above average. I have 2 suitcases, one is the size of her smaller one, the other is smaller.

My question is: how much of a hassle will it be to take a train from Pescara to Florence, then to Milan, then to Paris, and finally to London, with these bags in tow? (We are spending at least 1 night in each city). I'm fairly strong, she is average in strength, so once we are on the trains I will do most of the "putting away" of the bags. Is there clear space where I can place our suitcases? Are there any dangers of having the suitcases stolen during these routes? The other alternative is to fly from Rome to London, then Boston, but we are both itching to see Paris for a night, and taking trains appeals to us more than a flight, but I also don't want to curse myself for taking the scenic route.

What do you all think? All suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance. Thanks!!!
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:10 PM

How long will you be spending in Europe? One suitcase each, max 24". should be enough.

If you have a lot of stuff from a long stay, consider shipping anything over one bag. There are also services that ship suitcases.

You may need to lift these suitcases onto the overhead rack. Are you strong enough for this? Sometimes there are shelves at the end of the car or space between seats.

You could do Paris as an excursion from London. The Eurostar is pretty fast. But buy your tickets as soon as possible or they get more and more expensive.
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
All I can ask is why you each two large suitcases?? Though I have no idea how big they actually are since you start out saying 4 large suitcases - then it is one above average (whatever that means), one average, another average and one smaller.

Each person can easily manage w/ <u>one</u> 21 inch roll aboard OR one 24 inch suitcase, plus a handbag.

Two large/large-ish bags for each of you will be a huge hassle.
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:11 PM

No one ever goes to Europe and says next time I'll bring more luggage! If you were going to spend two weeks in one place, you might get away with it but with one night in each city, you are going to hate yourself for bringing that much luggage - it will be such a burden especially when you have to change trains!

How on earth is your mother going to lug two suitcases up and down stairs and onto the train or you for that matter? On the trains I have been on, there is not much room at the back for luggage. If you get first class train tickets, I believe they take care of your luggage for you.

I'm sure someone else will be along with better train advice, and packing info but the best advice I heard someone give is to pack the suitcases you plan to take and try dragging them around Boston, up and down stairs, and onto a train to see if you can handle them.
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:52 PM

Please check out www.onebag.com--maybe
it will help. There are lots of other
sites to help you pack lightly and be
able to enjoy your trip. One carry-on rolling bag will make you a happy traveler.
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Oops,try www.onebag.com
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:11 PM
yk

I don't know why, but from reading the OP, it sounds like her (I assume it's a she) has been living/studying in Italy (perhaps a semester abroad), and now she's returning home. I guess is her mom is flying to Italy to visit her and also to help her w/moving all the stuff back home.

That's the way I read this post, rather than 2 women traveling to Europe for a short trip.

If that's the case, OP's best option may be to mail most of the stuff home and only carry 2 carryon-size suitcases for the trip home.

Just my interpretation.
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:15 PM

Hello oasisboston, you don't give the size of the various pieces of luggage but from reading your post personally there is no way I would attempt the train travel you have outlined with the the luggage you have more or less described. A 24 inch suitcase per person is the most I would want to deal with for train travel. Personally I would ship all the extra items home, and keep it simple if you want to travel by train. I can't even imagine two pieces of luggage each with staying overnight in various cities plus train travel. With all duen respect it sounds like a nightmare to me. I think oasisboston you will be doing a lot of &quot;cursing&quot; with your present plan.
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:26 AM

If you suspect that it might be a hassle for you with big suitcases, then it almost certainly will be. The train doors are narrow and steep.
Old May 18th, 2008, 03:40 AM

When mum and I travelled around Europe by train in 2006 I did all the schlepping of luggage on and off the trains (we had 1 x 71cm case each, full to the brim). After a while I gave up worrying about someone stealing or luggage as it was so heavy, the thief would have been caught or given up before reaching the exit anyway!

Having more than 1 suitcase each will make it more difficult, especially if they are heavy as it will take time to get them off the train and you will get in the way of other passengers as the passageways and steps are narrow.
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:30 AM

Forget it..really,it's a nightmare. You will hate train travel for the rest of your life
And it will also be expensive..much more expensive than flying for such long distances.
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:41 AM

I've spent a lifetime getting on and off European trains with luggage, and all I can tell you is that even with small, lightweight suitcases it's a royal PITA.

If you have big suitcases, yes, it will be bad, worse than bad...miserable. You have to get them up a few, but very steep, stairs, then find a way to park them out of everyone's way, in a short period of time while other travelers are swarming around you trying to do the same.

Unless you have a very good reason to be hauling large suitcases, I'd rethink your plans. YES, big luggage IS a problem.
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:47 AM

&quot;My question is: how much of a hassle will it be to take a train from Pescara to Florence, then to Milan, then to Paris, and finally to London, with these bags in tow?&quot;

H-U-G-E

It ain't worth it. Been there, done that.

The smartest thing you could do, is MAIL everything home except for what you will need for your train trip to Paris and then your flight home from London. A few outfits in a carryon size bag.

You did not say what airline you are flying, but many US carriers are now charging for a second piece of checked luggage, not to mention have raised their overweight luggage fees. If it's over a certain weight, you might not be able to check the bag.

Let's not mention all of the up and down on the steps you would be doing. If it's crowded, it can be dangerous with heavy luggage.
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:52 AM

On my first long trip to Europe, I travelled by train and made the mistake of accumulating junk along the way, such that I had to buy more suitcases.

That was the most stupid thing I did in terms of travelling, particularly as I had to get on and off trains in Germany - and they only stay very few minutes in each stop: definetaly, not enough time to haul suitcases in and out without going bezerk!!!
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:55 AM

I'm 62 and of average strength for a woman that age. I wouldn't even consider doing what you are proposing even at what I guess is a much younger age.

There's the steep steps up and down and up and down and then lifting and lifting or worrying and worrying if your luggage has to be out of sight to be stored.

I take a 22&quot; and small tote and would like to eliminate the tote next time and down the 22&quot;. It's just too heavy! I have a lot of envy of tall, young men when traveling!
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It will be a HUGE hassle, especially having to do it 4 different times! Not knowing they why's and wherefore's of needing so much luggage, I'll only suggest that you need to ship things insteaad, not try to bring it all with you.

I won't say it's &quot;impossible&quot; but it is something close to that.
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Typically on trains the suitcases live in a rack above the seats. Can you easily lift the suitcases above your head onto the rack? Are they small enough to fit on the rack without overbalancing, falling off and braining someone?

Will you be able to carry them all up the steep, narrow stairs into the train in the few minutes it is stopped in the station?

If you go First Class there is more room - but if you have truly big cases you will have to try to find somewhere to store them - and perhaps watch them at each stop to make sure they don't exit the train inadvertently.

Separately - have you been living in europe for months? If at all possible I would take this tuff you don;t need and ship it home to save all the aggravation of schlepping these cases all over hell and gone.

I would try to cut back on the luggage - since dealing with it will get very old very fast.
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Also regarding train travel in Italy--For many departures you get to your platform by going down stairs under the tracks and back up...on our trip through Liguria our departure binario changed (after we had already moved from one to another) meaning we were up and down 3 very large staircases. Fortunately for me, my 6'3&quot; husband always insists on carrying both of our bags (24&quot.On this and other trips he was whipped by the end of the journey. Even with my hefty porter, next time we will downsize. I too am a fairly strong and fit woman, but I would not attempt the luggage you mention on any train in Europe. Travel lighter....enjoy every minute you can!
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:49 AM

I agree with everything that has been said by other posters. I have traveled extensively through Italy by train and even in first class there is no one to help you with your luggage. The steep steps on the train are difficult to negotiate even with 2 small bags (I have to hoist one bag up to the top of the steps and then drag the other one with me).

I only travel with a 22” bag and a tote. I am a few years younger than Ceilaanne and in very good shape but agree with her desire to lose the tote and only travel with the 22”.

Huge hassle.

My daughter will return to the USA after a year of studying abroad in Sweden and she will definitely ship her excess luggage home.

Old May 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM

I pack light and still need help hoisting my 21&quot; bag in the overhead bin. I can't imagine the hassle 2 big bags would be. Even with the luggage section at the end of a train car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -