Train to Edinburgh

Jan 21st, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Train to Edinburgh

In June, we are staying in a cottage near Perth, Scotland and plan a day trip to Edinburgh. Should we get our tickets before we go, or get them at the station in Perth?

The price when I check BritRail seems high for a short round trip between the cities. Does anyone recommend driving from Perth to Edinburgh? (We will have rented a car for our entire two week trip.)
Jan 21st, 2005, 01:16 PM

You shouldn't have to book ahead of time. I'm not sure if they still offer it, but the only time I took that specific train trip we bought cheap day return tickets. It was basically the same price (w/i £1 ) of the one way fare.
Jan 21st, 2005, 01:30 PM
ron

Cheap day return ticket is £9.90 per person. Use the journey planner on www.nationalrail.co.uk for schedule and prices. No need or advantage to book in advance.
Jan 21st, 2005, 01:41 PM

Thanks Ron - I should have looked it up before I posted. With the parking and traffic in central Edinburgh £9.90 is a real bargain, just for the convenience factor
Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

That is exactly what I needed to know. We really didn't want to have to drive into Edinburgh and 9 GBP is quite reasonable. Thanks janis and ron!

Search this Thread