Train tickets validation

Jul 31st, 2010, 12:34 AM
Original Poster

Train tickets validation

Hi,

I posted a few weeks back on transportation questions and I've got very helpful replies from fodorites. I just need to find out for train travel in Germany and Benelux region, do I need to validate tickets before boarding the trains? This question applies to Landers ticket and point to point tickets bought in the respective countries . If so, where do we do that ? In Italy, we did on a yellow machine as not doing so will inccur a fine. Thanks.
Jul 31st, 2010, 01:20 AM

Generally you only have to validate railpasses in Germany. If you buy the tickets from a kiosk, they are validated when you purchase them. Online I believe are usually for a specific train, unless they are the lander tickets which are for a certain day, also eliminating the need for validation.

I'm not sure about the Benelux area.
Jul 31st, 2010, 02:00 AM

If you buy your (point to point)ticket for a Dutch train from either the machine or a window it is normally valid for that day only, on any train going, by the shortest route, to your destination, and will be dated as such.

If you wish to buy your ticket ahead of time then you need to get an undated ticket and validate it at a yellow box - these are not always easy to spot though.

Machines do not accept credit cards without a chip, so you need coins. Buying at a kiosk or window will cost you extra.

If you have a Benelux pass you need to validate it at a window at you first station and after that you can just get any train (with a few exception - like Thalys and Fyra) without any further validation needed.
Jul 31st, 2010, 05:09 AM

Germany:

Länder-Tickets are a bit tricky because it depends what kind of ticket machine you buy them from.
If you buy from DB machines, they ask for the date during the process, and the date is printed on the ticket, so no more validation is needed as the travel date is fixed.
In regional transport networks (Verkehrsverbünde), often the machines don't ask for the date and the ticket has to be validated upon first use. If you read something like "Bitte sofort bei Fahrtantritt entwerten" or anything else with the word "entwerten", it needs to be stamped and validated. This can not be done on board of trains; the little boxes are either on the platform or by the stairs to the platform, they exist on board of buses and trams, but there are none on the trains.
Remember to write your name (resp. the name of one person in the party) on the Länder-Ticket in any case.

Point-to-point DB train tickets do not need to be validated, the period of validity is printed on them.
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will get the Landers ticket and point to point tickets from DB machines to avoid all the hassle of validation.
As for Holland, I will try to buy tickets on day of travel from machine as I have credit cards with chip. From where I come from, only credit cards with chip is valid unless it is a foreign card.