Train stopover in Pisa?

Search

Train stopover in Pisa?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train stopover in Pisa?

We're a family of four visiting Europe for the first time in a few weeks. We have 5 days in Rome, followed by 5 in Florence. We'll be catching the train to Florence.

Because it's our first time, we want to tick off a few of the famous sites like the leaning tower of Pisa. Just about everything I've read indicates there's not much to see in Pisa apart from the tower, so I'm thinking we'll go there, have a quick look and keep going.

My question is, is it sensible to catch the train from Rome to Pisa, leave our luggage somewhere, go to the tower, get back on the train and go to Florence. Or is that too much? We were originally planning a day trip to Pisa and Lucca from Florence but (surprise, surprise) we're having a lot of trouble managing our itinerary and I could free up a day if we just do a whistlestop in Pisa.

If we do the whistlestop, how long do we need in Pisa and is it safe to leave our luggage at the station?

Thanks for your help, Pumblechook.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 05:34 PM
Intrepid

You can do it by train..the faster route would actually take you into Florence first and then on to Pisa. Provided there is a luggage storage room at the Pisa station (and I cannot remember for certain but I think there is..someone else will probably comment on this apsect) you can store your luggage there and hop a cab to the tower and one back and then continue on your way. Service between Florence and Pisa is frequent and that portion of the trip takes about an hour. Good luck.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 02:37 AM

Hi, Pumblechook!

My wife and I did a day trip from Florence to both Lucca/Pisa last year. We thought that Lucca was neat but we really enjoyed Pisa. We may be in the minority on this but we kind of wish we had spent more time in Pisa before getting back to Florence.

We had the opportunity to go up the Leaning Tower -- I think we had an hour wait -- but we passed it by. Big mistake on our part.

Plus, walking to the train station for our train back to Florence we walked through the center of Pisa and really found it quite enjoyable. And then you have the Arno River setting, the same Arno that winds thru Florence. We thought it was a very pretty setting.

Why we wanted to rush back to Florence where we were staying I'm not really sure. But as we reviewed our trip later on, we kind of wish we had spent more time in Pisa that day, at least stayed there into early evening rather than rushing back to Florence.

But it's "different strokes for different folks"! That's what makes traveling so exciting, huh?

Have fun with your planning. Whatever you decide for yourselves, you'll love it. Italy is just awesome!

Happy trails.

Bob
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:31 AM

Most people do seem to think Pisa is only the area right around the tower with all the souvenir stands, etc. But it is really a very pleasant college town. Not a lot to see other than the sights around the Tower, but still a nice place.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:53 AM

I think your Rome-Pisa-Florence daytrip is a great idea esp timewise.
You're already going to waste a good part of that checking-in/out of hotels, getting to/from the train station and the 1:35min journey itself.
Might as well just pass thru Florence and daytrip Pisa on your travel day.
Luggage storage recently (~Jan) reopened at the Pisa Centrale Station.
For directions and some info type-in pisa daytrip directions in the "Text Search" click-on "Italy" and "Find". Regards, Walter