Search

Train Station in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Station in Venice

Hello!

Is there only one train station in Venice?

I am traveling from Venice to Florence next March! First time in Italy, cannot wait! I have learned so much from everyone on this site!

Can you also tell me how long of a ride it may be? Thank you!

8-)
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 02:04 PM

The train station in Venice is Venezia Santa Lucia. The station on the mainland is Venezia Mestre.

Fast EuroStar Italia trains make the trip from Venezia Santa Lucia to Firenze in 2hr40min. There are other trains that are both slower and cheaper.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 02:11 PM
J62

All trains on their way to Venice S.L. stop at Venice Mestre, but not vice versa. There are some trains that just stop at Mestre and proceed further North.

If you are taking a train that just goes to Mestre, don't worry - there are trains every 15min or so, and it's no more than a 10min ride on to S.L.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Hello cwogjo, yes you will be departing from the Santa Lucia train station if you are staying in Venice proper and not on the mainland (which is the Mestre station), as TimS posted.

You will want the Santa Maria Novella train station in Firenze (Florence) which is right there at the historical center of Florence.

Do remember to validate your train ticket at the small yellow box at the station before getting on the train.

And have a wonderful trip..I still think the first visit to Italy is the best one of all!
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM

CW-you will take the Eurostar from Venice to Florence, and it is a two hour trip.

There are actually two train stations in Venice, one in the historical center (Santa Maria Novella, or SML) and the other is Mestre train station, located outside the historical center in Mestre, but still in Venice proper.

Since you are staying in the historical center of Venice, you would be leaving from SML, but make sure, as some trains do leave from Mestre, and you must make the short 15 minute train trip from SML to Mestre, and then change trains there.

However, the ES from Venice to Florence does leave SML direct to Florence, without stopping in Mestre.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 03:25 PM
J62

Now I'm confused. I said Venice was Santa Lucia (S.L.). I thought Santa Maria Novella was in Florence. Perhaps I have the names wrong.

I gave directions TO Venice, but the same applies in reverse as you are travelling. You can easily get to Mestre if the train you want doesn't originate in Venice Santa Lucia.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!

I will use this info to review the train websites.

I am staying at the Hilton Milono Stucky so I should be able to take a water taxi to Venezia Santa Lucia (S.M.L.)? Then in 2 hours 40 minutes arrive Firenze Santa Maria Novella (S.M.N.)in Florence?

Cannot wait! After Florence going to Rome!

In Florence I learned from other posters to do the accidental tourist tour of a Chianti vineyard and cooking class! In Rome the after hours Vatican tour (if the date is available)!

Thank you to everyone!

Old Oct 25th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Girlspytravel has got the station names confused cwojo. The train station in Venice proper (along the Grand Canal) is the Santa Lucia Station.

The train station in Florence is the Santa Maria Novella train station.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Right. I meant Venice's historical center train station is Santa Lucia, not SML, and the other train station in Venice is Mestre, outside the historical center.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There are 2 Venice train stations-
In buying tickets/getting off the train you need to pay attention to whether it is Santa Lucia (Venice proper) or Mestre (mainland).