Search

Train--St. Petersburg-Moscow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Sox
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train--St. Petersburg-Moscow

We will be training over night between Moscow-St.Petersburg. What can I expect in the way of comfort, cleanliness and etc. We decided to escape winter--will be in Russia 15 November-30 November.
Suggestions welcomed for restaurants. We considering staying at the Couinthia in St/P and Le Royal Meridia in Moscow. We do not speak Russian and we are 100% on our own. Suggestions for guides also welcomed.
Tks for all assistance.
Sox
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See seat61.com/Russia2.htm. Hard to generalize - depends on which class and which train. I went all the way across Russia in kupe, which was generally fine - clean and reasonably comfortable, always boiling water available at the end of the carriage. But don't rely on the restaurant car! Do consider stopping off in Novgorod on the way. Did you say you're going to Russia to ESCAPE winter?
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Sox
Original Poster

We are escaping Chicago Winter. After seeing Transsiberian movie, I think we want to go non-stop. We probably will go first class, if possible and try to book a compartment for two. Is food available on the train or do we bring our own?
Sox
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Food should be available, whether you want to eat it is another matter. I would board with food unless the train leaves after dinner - and water. You can use the boiling water available in all carriages for reconstituting noodles or making instant soup.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:33 AM

We went from Moscow to St. Petersburg in business class. It was roomy and very pleasant. A meal was served at our seats. Also there is NO SMOKING in business class. However, the toilet stank incredibly.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:34 AM

We recently stayed at the Hyatt in Moscow. A beautiful new hotel a block away from Red Square.Try Cafe Pushkin. Open 24 hours,great food,the staff in period dress.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Wow, you guys are very brave. I wonder what you expect from this trip. It will be long and boring and nothing like that movie. Get a guide in Moscow and see Russia's capital at least, you are not going to have time to see anything else as train only stops for a little bit in each city.