Renfe Question - tourist seats vs next class up

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to purchase my Mad-Bcn tickets on Monday as it is the 62nd day prior to my travel....Is there any advantage to purchasing the next class up from tourist? In the maribel guides she says that the next class up includes a meal and a cordial. What is evervyones recommendation for this. If we purchase the tourist class what kind of food do the sell and what are the prices?
Thanks,
Mary
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 06:15 AM

In "preferente" class, passengers are served an airline-style meal. There is also a bar serving drinks and snacks, which is open to all passengers.
The meal served in preferente isn't what I'd call a proper meal: it comes in little dishes on a tray and wouldn't be enough if I were hungry, and would be a nuisance if I weren't hungry.
Preferente seats are bigger. Whether you need a bigger seat depends on your dimensions. Whether you need a "free" meal depends on the time of day and your culinary tastes.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 06:56 AM

There is simply more room in preferente class, and the "web" fare discount of 60%, which makes it worth it on a longer trip. You also have the use of the first class lounge at the station (free snacks, coffee, internet access, etc.) while you wait for them to announce the train.

The meal is passable and the service is good.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Drinks are unlimited from wine to cava and I think they also have brandy.A great deal if you do consume alcohol.You can make your own mimosa with the orange juice..

The VIP waiting lounge is nice especially if you get nervous and arrive WAY too early.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM

These are good comments above.

In our particular case, the Preferente class car only had a few persons riding along with us (I would guess maybe 10 persons total) while I did notice that the regular class cars of our train seemed rather full. This may only be anecdotal, though, I am not sure if it is often the case.

In my own assessment, I thought that the Preferente class is worth it if you are able to obtain a discounted fare (estrella fare, or even better, web fare)and especially if the traveling schedule encompasses a "regular" meal-time, such as over lunch or dinner. The train station lounges are nice, but the complimentary food and drink offering in these station lounges is not too enticing.

I do not think I would pay regular fare for the class upgrade as my perception is that the value-for-money does not make it worthwhile for me.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for all your comments.
I got the tickets last night (66 days in advance) and got the web fare in tourist class. I thought since it is only a 3hr train that we would be fine in that class.