Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Town/hotel between Fussen and Koblenz worth seeing/ staying in between?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 5 travelling to and driving around Germany in June. Will be staying in Fussen then driving up to the Rhine area to Koblenz. Is there any town between the two that is in a beautiful setting in between Fussen and Koblenz that is worth staying for the night and hotel that would accomodate a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids 6 and under). Want to stay away from the "chain Hotels" if possible and spend under 200 euros. Thank you much for any advise!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 03:44 PM

4 places come to mind:

Rothenburg o.T. The kids might enjoy poking along the walks on the walls and visiting museums with old weapons, etc. It is a straight 2 1/2 shot on the Autobahn A-7 from Fuessen.

Wuerzburg: Has a great (genuine) castle overlooking the city. The walk from the castle into town leads over draw bridges, etc. The museum in the castle has alos some interesting stuff for kids. The park surrounding the old town (used to be the moat) has children's play areas.

Speyer: Another old town, with a big cathedral, big park along the Rhein river.

Guenzburg, on the Danube, between Augsburg and Ulm. This is the site of Legoland Deutschland. The drive would be Fuessen, Kempten, Memmingen, Guenzburg, with a possible stop in Ottobeuren to see the basilica there.

As to hotels: I suggest you contact the tourist inform,ation office in each of the cities and ask for their recommendation for child-suitable hotels.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 11:22 PM

Bad Homburg, located in the very pretty Taunus mountains just north of Frankfurt. ""Hessen Park" which is an Open Air Museum would be fun for your age group of kids. The "Saalburg", which is a reconstructed Roman Fort is also near-by. Lots of Roman soldiery stuff, and fun for the kids to run around. There are also some great pools there which might be fun for the whole family. The Opel Zoo is also in the neighborhood.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

thank you for you input!! I am very interested in Legoland with the kids! Is Guenzburg a pretty town? Any recommendations for hotels there that have room/suite for 5? Again, appreciate all this input!
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 07:04 AM

I am also planning a trip with 3 kids, but we're taking trains instead of driving.

If you go to the Legoland site, they have links for a lot of information. Here's a link to a place I found: http://www.gasthauslamm.de/legoland_en/zimmer.html

I have great memories of visiting Rothenburg O.T as a kid, so I would also recommend that town.