Train safe from Rome to Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be flying into Rome's airport and training from there to Florence and back next month, and I'm hearing things about theft on the train. Do I need to keep my luggage with me at all times on the train? Or is locking my locked suitcase to the overhead luggage rail enough? I haven't been on a train in Italy in over a decade and don't remember being warned back then...
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:47 PM

There are risks in any activities. For FCO to Firenze Santa Maria Novella station, while what you wrote is a risk, it is one of less likely risks you encounter. The source you used failed to give you the whole picture by providing you with the priority of risks.

The express trains, both FCO to Termini (presuming you are taking the Leonardo express), then Termini to Firenze are closed environments. One must pay quite a fare to ride them. If a thief get on these trains and come out empty handed, they lose money. And if they get caught without ticket, they will be in trouble with the Trenitalia staff. It is usually not the place they operate - too much risks and chances of losing money. Instead they operate where there is no expense and less chance of getting caught. What are they?

It is when you are in transit between your secure area of the airport (which is too heavily guarded with access control with video camera) to the train, and when you change your trains at Termini or after you get off at Firenze Santa Maria Novella. Then the thieves can pick pocket when there is less risk on their side or scam you by offering (or grabbing) your bag pretending to be an official porter and hit you with a high fee or walk away while you are distracted by his cohorts.
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:56 PM

The safety issues are no different than a decade ago. The trains are nicer.
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:09 PM

We traveled from Venice to Rome (Termini) on the high speed Frecciargento train on May 2nd, then back to to Venice on the 4th. Both times stopping in Florence. We had luggage that we left in the luggage area at the end of our car plus some bags in the overhead. None of the bags were locked or secured in any way. We had no problems at all.
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't sound any different from my last half dozen trips to Germany and ordinary precuations anywhere seem the same.
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Most people will keep their luggage with them on the train from the airport to Rome. There really isn't many places to put it as it's an old R train (not very nice). The fast trains between Rome/Florence have luggage space at the ends of the cars, over the seats and behind the seats. I wouldn't chain my luggage to anything. While the faster trains stop longer in stations, the slower trains sometimes only stop for 1 minute.

This is a picture of fast train 2nd class. You can slide a 24"-25" structured, soft-side case behind the white part of the seats or a 30" duffel.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ssainterno.jpg
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, kybourbon--looks similar to the trains I took last November all over Germany and I travel very light, so my roll-aboard would fit above.
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:35 AM

Traveling alone from Rome to Florence after an overnight flight, too tired to get my luggage into the overhead reach, I left my luggage at the space at the end of the car. I had a Longchamp bag in the zippered compartment on the outside of my suitcase stolen. Easy to reach in and grab.
Knowing better, exhaustion got the best of me and I paid for it.

Simply get your bags into the overhead compartment, and you should have no problems.
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>I had a Longchamp bag in the zippered compartment on the outside of my suitcase stolen. <<<

Are you sure that happened on the train and not at one of the airports?

Most people don't realize they can store their luggage behind their seat on the AV and ES trains. This is an older ES train, but better shows the size of storage space behind the seat than my link above.
http://www.railgallery.info/photo_sh...+copy.jpg.html
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:55 AM

Do NOT let your guard down on the Leonardo Express. There are indeed thieves on those trains. My experience is that they ask passengers for their used tickets (still have some time left on them) when they get to their destination, or they just pick them out of the trash as people toss them.
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

I grew up in NYC, still have urban smarts, and have always been careful on European trains--just wondered if Italian ones were any different. I always travel only with carry-on, so there's never a problem putting my bags behind my seat or directly overhead.
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Just travelled from Milano to Roma on high speed train 1st class - my bag was in luggage rack at end of carriage and was stolen probably at Firenze station. Regardless of quality of train take care
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 06:19 AM

What I do when I leave my luggage on the racks at the end of the carriage is that I get up from my seat during the intermediate stops to check it and make sure my luggage doesn't leave with anybody else.
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 06:35 AM

I would add to this old thread which was revived by Canu that Christmastime does represent an added threat to what is normally a very safe situation where luggage theft is unknown. Normally a thief wouldn't consider it worthwhile to nick luggage, but during Christmas season, people very often pack presents inside luggage, plus the trains are packed, making it easier for thieves to operate without arousing suspicion.

Christmastime in italy lasts until Jan 6, so take precautions all during that period.
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 07:26 AM

One thing I enjoy about first class train travel in Italy is that I often seem to have empty seats nearby where I can put my luggage and always have them in sight - rather then often fending for room in a perhaps already overcrowded overhead luggage rack in 2nd class - 2nd class often being IME much more full than first class - not nearly always of course but much more a chance.

And there are other perks to first class - significantly larger seats - free coffee and a snack at your seat and the key to me often more empty seats - you can also get an aisle and window seat - so-called solo seats with just one seat in a row - not available I believe in 2nd class - these seats also face each other at times so perfect for a couple - no asking someone to get up to get out or someone asking you to get up to get out to the loo, etc.

on the trip of a lifetime pay extra as zillions of Italians do to go first class IMO - for lots of great info on Italian trains I always spotlight these IMO fantastic sites - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

And put any safety concerns to rest if you exercise any caution at all - years ago there were more problems even with things like fake porters at stations but I have not heard of these for a long time now - oh there may be isolated instances as in any public conveyance but the least little prudence should negate that.
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 08:47 AM

Agree with posts above travelled by train all classes across Poland, Germany, France, Belgium, Spain, and many south east Asian countries with no trouble. As we are away for some months bag a bt big to keep in carriage and not always possible - I think Christmas extra risky as most people on train with us had large amounts of luggage and bags of gifts - lucrative pickings. Always travel with maxim don't take what you can't afford to lose but lesson learnt re regardless of precautions (bags were in sight) in can happen to you.
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 02:44 PM

Bummer, Canu. But thanks for the reminder.