Search

Train refunds

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train refunds

Anyone with any experience in collecting from E-Star\Trenitalia?
Train 1: reserved seats occupied they refused to move, train 1 hour late.
Train 2: 4 hours late ditto seats, able to find one 2nd class seat for 4 people. trip 2.5 hours of standing and sharing the one seat. I filled out forms but they were totally unresponsive.
Whats likey to happen here if anything
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 10:01 AM
ira

Hi J,

Other than that, did you like Italy?

Don't hold your breath waiting for your refunds.

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 10:12 AM

Just curious - 'reserved seats, they refused to move' - did they also have reservations for the same seats? If not did you ask conductor to get them out? If so what happened?
ES trains advertise that if they don't reach their destination within half-hour or so give refunds for the fare - not sure about exact time but not very long. Again collecting outside of italy would seem problematic.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Just curious - 'reserved seats, they refused to move' - did they also have reservations for the same seats? Yes
If not did you ask conductor to get them out? He refused to even discuss the matter, shrugged his shoulders and walked off, that is train 1. Train 2 the people held tickets for an earlier train and said they were told to take the seats by the conductor. The train was so packed people standing everywhere we never did see him.
If so what happened? Nothing
Trenitalia said it was a Rail Eruope problem, they say it's a Trenitalia problem I sat in front of some mans desk for about a hour one day - I was tired walking until he gave me the refund form. When the really late train came in girls we standing trackside asking Italian\English and passing out envelopes. I noticed the ones the Italians were getting had this refund form in it, the english were just getting a envelope no form.
I am thinking they thought if anyone mailed the ticket in they could claim they didn't have the right form.
I assume I will not get a refund but I was just wondering if anyone ever attempted to make them pay up and how they did it. jh
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Other than that, did you like Italy?

Well like I said thank you for telling readers about BB Peterson. We enjoyed it. Well lets see I was hit by a car driving on the side walk, that was fun, I had a huge hassle with the manager of the Dpari over being over charged and his claiming refunds were only for Italians and not Americans, and having to constantly check to ensure the group didn't get lira in change or that they didn't get the charge card scam pulled - it was fine. I had been 3 times before they had never been so I was busy.
What surprised me most was the graffiti all over the place and the way people were dressed. Last time I was in Rome you saw many beautifully dressed women and men. This time it was eurotrash style.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Unfortunately, you got a BS response from Trenitalia since seat tickets and reservations made by RailEurope and all those other agencies are done by computers LINKED to the the same system used by Trenitalia.

I'm glad you didn't aloow this to ruin your trip, however. The most you'll probably get is a seat reservation cost refund, if that..I'd let it go and chalk it up to experience if I were you. At lerast they let you onto the train.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 06:12 AM
ira

Hi J,

>Well lets see I was hit by a car driving on the side walk,..... - it was fine.<

Well, I'm glad that nothing untoward happened and that you had a great visit.

(Oh, my)

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Raileurope tickets cannot be refunded in Europe as they are a completely separate administration/accounting, etc. You have to take your issue up with RailEurope and they usually require some documentation like a note from the conductor testifying to the problem - but if you squeak enough or know who to call there you may get a refund. But though there should be, there are no facilities for refunding tickets bought thru RailEurope in Europe - you must return the ticket to RailEurope.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

10/20:Up date - received a note today from Rail E stating I needed the conductor to sign the tickets just as posted here. I have just finished writing them back with the EUnion transport rules etc. Which only state you need the trainer number which I gave them.
I never expected to get anything, but as someone said this is total BS. I reminded them of the various travel lists, and that I intended to post the affair on them, as well as the rules of carriage in which they state refund will be made.
Should be interesting to see what happens – It’s just another .37 cent stamp <G>

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:32 AM
ira

Persevere J.

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 08:08 AM

JoanneH: Good luck but keep calling and ask to talk to a supervisor not just the phone jocks they hire - i do know of similar cases that were refunded though technically they did not have to be - as they would say you did ride the train it's just the seat reservation fee that should be refunded - which is crap because you paid RailEurope good money, more than you would have had to in Italy just to prevent this type of stuff - for the ease of just getting on the train. There are people at RE that could and would give you the refund if you could only reach them - if you bought thru a travel agent ask the agent to help you as well. I've been familiar with RE's operations for years and on the whole they are good in what they do but they should stick up for any snafus that were their fault - it may well have been the fault of Trenitalia as well but RE should refund what probably is not a ton of money.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Heard from rail Europe again:
They are unable to refund because:
"While we do not suggest that the situation did not occur as stated in your letter, with out a notation from a rail official noting that you had to go to 2n class instead of first, Trentialia will not allow us to consider compensation" "We have reviewed our contract regarding Trentialia tickets and we do note that the rail line allows for others to arbitrarily sit in reserved seats if the originally reserved train is more than 30 minutes late."
So what they are saying is its Trentialia and of course Trentialia says its Rail Europe.
So much for mandated trip and reservation fees..........<G>