Search

train prices

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
train prices

Does anyone know what the difference in price is between 1st and 2nd class train tickets and is the difference in price worth it ?
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:27 PM

Your question is too broad
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:36 PM

It depends on the train; where you're traveling to and from. Your question is like asking what's the difference in price between this house and that house.

I normally buy 2nd class tickets.

Go to the train web site and check the pricing difference since only you know where you're going.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:36 PM

On what trains? In which country?

Generally speaking first class offers more comfortable seats and less likelihood of overcrowding. Depending on the train you may get free hot drinks/newspapers/wifi/charging points.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

LOL sorry guys apparently
I was only half paying attention when I posted this . The train I'm referring to is from Rome to Naples
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:39 PM

Well, I clicked on your name and see you're the person who is going from Fiumicino airport to Positano. You should have continued this question on your other thread rather than start a new thread with no information.

You can easily check the pricing difference on the web site you were given in your other thread. No one knows when you're going and no one knows which trains you're taking. This is not a question anyone but you can answer. Sorry!
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:40 PM

We were posting the same time.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:45 PM

Yes there are so so many factors - personal things - 2nd class is perfectly fine for many but others like me feel there is a vast difference in general between classes - but again the difference is greater or lesser depending on the country and type of train.

In general however there are often (in my decades of European rail travel) many more empty seats in first class and seats are nearly always significantly bigger - and there are but three seats in each row - one row of two seats and on the other side of the aisle just one seat - the to me priceless seats with aisle and a window - these seats may face each other for couples and have a table in between them.

2nd class is nearly always four seats in a row with no rows with just one seat in them.

With fewer people traveling in the same-sized train car there is also obviously more room to store luggage - especially heavy bulky luggage many tourists are hauling around- I often set mine on an adjoining empty seat - often not possible is a usually much more crowded 2nd class.

More and more first class cars have free Wii - may charge for it in 2nd or not have it (or have it free too sometimes) and first class may get complimentary snacks and beverages.

Anyway for lots of stuff on European trains and the matter of class check out these IMO fantastic sites - www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

If traveling enough check out railpasses which if over 25 often are first-class only (well you could use them in 2nd class too) and when comparing prices of a pass to regular tickets if the cost of 2nd class tickets even approaches the cost of a first-class pass consider the first class aspect.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>The train I'm referring to is from Rome to Naples<<

There are several types of trains that operate between Rome and Naples. The fast AV (and still a few ES)trains take 70 minutes. IC trains are a bit slower (about 2 hours) while regional trains take about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. The faster trains are nicer and have amenities. The slow R trains don't have any amenities and usually no AC. Prices are based on type of train and length of travel.

This is 2nd class on the AV train (ES trains look similar, but a bit older and a tad more worn usually).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ssainterno.jpg

IC trains are usually compartments with 6 people in a compartment (for both 1st and 2nd class - same amount of space).

R trains are often one class only.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 03:27 PM

This is 2nd class on the AV train (ES trains look similar, but a bit older and a tad more worn usually).>

funny on that site there is also an exactly the same looking promotional photo of a train smack out of the factory of a first-class car on the same AV train - would not it be objective to show both and not only one and let the viewer see the huge difference between classes - bigger and fewer seats in 1st class and IME many more empty seats to spread out your bags on, etc.

IC trains I have been on have usually been open seating - the Naples to Rome train for sure as I recently took an IC train - with the same larger seats and fewer seats. But on the IC trains with compartments I have been on - like recently between Florence and Rome yes the compartments were the same - old first class cars from years ago probably but I was the only person in my first class compartment whereas the 2nd class was fairly full - huge difference in fact.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 05:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
PalQ - You always complain about an actual photo of these trains, yet you never post a photo of any kind.

The reality is there are 6 classes on many of the AV trains on this route starting with standard (like the pic). Next level is premium, but is still pretty much 2nd class with better leather instead of fabric(still 4 seats across, like standard class). Seats/width/room is the same on both. On the Rome/Naples route you would pay 7€ extra for leather instead of fabric (43€ vs 50€)

Then you get into two business classes (one silent - Business Area Silenzio, one not - Business) with leather seats three across (except for Salottino). Business costs 15€ more on this route.

Next class is Business Salottino. It costs 27€ more (70€).

The final level of service is Executive which is only two seats across with seats that look like recliners/easy chairs found in someone's family room. 99€.

The OP will be on a 70 minute train ride. 2nd class/standard is more than fine and what the majority of people use.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 05:48 PM

Kybourbon and Seat61 are the experts. PalenQ is a dufus.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 06:26 AM

dufus or not I know a lot about European trains, having made my who professional career studying and writing about them and riding them incessantly for decades - that I express an opinion that some others do not share makes me a dufus well then fine. It just seems that there is only one mantra with these two - cheapest is always the best for everyone in every situation - St Cirq recently said the only difference between first and second class was a 'few inches of larger seats' - well that proves he/she have never ridden many trains in many countries - for the person on a trip of a lifetime - especially those hauling luggage around first class can be well worth it and the difference may not be that much in pricing - check prices for both classes and yes it there is a huge differential then that could make a difference. But there are times when cheaper 2nd class tickets are gone but discounted first-class tickets remain and may only cost a few euros more - Man in Seat pointed this example out once recently.

Anyway I will continue to point out the differences between the two classes so the person can make a choice - not give a one-sided version and dictate that that is the ONLY way to go. Cheapest is not always the best - you can eat at McDonalds for a fraction of what it would cost in a proper restaurant and you could stay in a low-budget hotel and sleep perfectly well - yet for some reason for train travel the cheapest - even if one euro cheaper is always the best to some.

No my opinion is to show the very real differences between the classes and let the person decide.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 12:13 PM

Kybourbon and Seat61 are the experts>

note how two experts can have diametrically opposing views - Man in Seat 61 said once on a post here that "I too am an aficionado of first class trains" whereas the other expert would say he was crazy to even pay one euro extra to go first class because there is very little difference!

Recently Man in Seat 61 outlined in another post the several real benefits of first class - I'll see if I can track that down because Man in Seat 61 is no dufus so what he says about first class - bout the same take as mine - should be sage words of wisdom!
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 12:50 PM

PalQ - You always complain about an actual photo of these trains, yet you never post a photo of any kind.>

If I did I would show all types of classes and not just some photo opp of a train right out of the factory - why not show all options but only the one you insist it what everyone wants?
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

this is to Adrienne, do not answer any of my posts ..you are rude and I would prefer not to deal with you...
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:26 PM

I did notice that you took advantage of my explicit directions, and thanked me for them, before determining that I'm rude to you. You should have mentioned in your other post that I should not give you any more advice.

I'm not rude. I'm answering your nebulous questions without embellishment. Perhaps you should think before you post and give a bit of information so you get complete responses.

adrienne on Mar 27, 13 at 1:47pm

To further Ira's explanation:

Take the train (or a taxi) from the Rome airport which is located in Fiumicino to Rome Termini station.

Then take a train from Rome to Napoli Centrali (be sure to use the Italian spelling of the train station). This trip from the airport to Naples is 2.15 hours.

Then go downstairs to the commuter trains called Circumvesuviana and buy a ticket for Sorrento. You cannot book ahead on this train but they run frequently. The trip is an hour.

From Sorrento you get the bus (just outside the Sorrento train station) to Positano. The timing on this section depends on traffic but I'm guessing at least an hour.

You can also take the train from Rome to Salerno and then catch the bus to Positano. I've never done this route but I'm sure someone will chime in about where the bus is located. This train trip is 4 hours from the airport to Salerno.

You can also take a ferry. Here's the bus and ferry schedules.

http://www.amalficoastweb.com/posita...s_ferries.html

So you see it's a long journey if you fly into Rome rather than Naples.

adrienne on Mar 27, 13 at 1:56pm

Probably easiest is the ferry from Naples to Positano but I could only find the web site in Italian and I don't see a full schedule, probably because they won't have the summer schedule loaded for a couple of months.

http://www.metrodelmare.net/orari-tratte-e-tariffe/