I'll be going to Germany and Switzerland later this year and have been debating the cost benefits of purchasing a rail pass vs. individual tickets for trips. We are planning to do several excursions in Munich and the Interlaken regions, as well as using trains to travel from Germany to Switzerland. I automatically assumed a rail pass (German-Swiss Eurail) would be our best bet from a cost standpoint, but now I'm not so sure.
What do you think would be the best way to travel?
We are taking an overnight train from Amsterdam to Munich, and will be spending time walking through the downtown areas, going to Oktoberfest, etc. which will not require trains. However we do want to take day trips to places like Dachau or Neuwachstein Castle - I assume by train but if there are better ways I'd love to hear about them! We will be in Munich a total of 4 days.
After Munich we would love to travel Switzerland primarily by train - our main reason for going is to see the beautiful scenery so that seems to be the best way to enjoy it. I would like to stay in Lucerne as our "base" and again, take day trips to Mt. Pilatus and other scenic excursions. We will then make our way to Zurich to fly out. We will be in Switzerland 4-5 days.
All told, I was thinking to get 10-day German-Swiss Eurail Passes for myself and spouse, which is totalling about $830. Should I continue with that plan or is it worth it to do more research about individual train tickets?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 2 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 3 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 4 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 5 Family vacation
- 6 GTG Paris December 2017
- 7 Christmas in South of Spain 2018
- 8 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 9 Tips for first trip to UK
- 10 which language school in Italy?
- 11 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 12 Driving
- 13 Dubrovnik
- 14 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 15 European Christmas Markets Itinerary
- 16 3 weeks driving the Netherlands
- 17 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 18 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 19 Christmas Markets 2017
- 20 How many miles is a good 'walking tour'?
- 21 Budget trip
- 22 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 23 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 24 Algarve Town Selection
- 25 paris to london- day trip