Train or Car Rome to Tuscany

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train or Car Rome to Tuscany

I will be going to Italy for the first time in May. I have used this site for many many ideas and have appreciated all but finally need to ask a question of my own. We are starting with 3 nights in Rome. We plan to take a train to Florence out of Rome for our 5 nights in Tuscany and pick up the car rental in Florence. Should we just pick the car up in Rome and drive? We are staying in a B&B in the Chianti region. Thank you. Also, we are planning 3 nights in Rome, 5 nights in Tuscany (seeing everything BUT Florence) then 2 nights in Florence, 2 nights in Portofino then 1 night in Milan since we will fly out of Milan. Sound like an okay plan? Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:05 AM

I just got back Sunday from a trip to Italy where I had the same question. We also started our trip in Rome, then picked up a rental car there and drove to our hotel in the countryside, and then dropped off the car in Florence. This plan worked beautifully- I think you might be backtracking to take the train to Florence first and then drive. Everything in Italy is so close, that I really think it would be best for you to rent in Rome.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Zo

When I did this last year, we took the train up to Orvieto and picked up the car there. Besides not having to drive in Rome, it was cheaper than picking up the car in Rome or Florence.

And driving up through Tuscany is great, especially if you get off the A1.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:19 AM

My husband and I took a simalar trip on our honeymoon. We picked up a car as we left Rome, after a three day visit, and drove to Tuscany where we stayed at a vineyard in the country (also in the Chianti region) and used our car to explore the surronding towns. Having a car was perfect and the drive to Tuscany was great. I would do it the exact same way again. From there we drove to the Almafi Coast, also a great drive! Having a car gives you freedom and for us, made the trip more of an adventure!!
Have a grea time
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Good plan. The only good option is to train to Chiusi Scalo for your car and drive from there--depends on location of your B&B. Less hassle that way.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 10:17 AM

I have researched this quite a bit to figure out the best price. We're going in September for 10 days. I found out that there is a 14% surcharge for picking up the car from the airport, but not from downtown. Additionally, there is no drop-off charge in renting in Italy (autoeurope.com). Amazing.
Since you will already be in Rome, it might be advantageous to rent from one of the downtown Rome locations. It shouldn't be a problem getting out of the city, you save the cost of the train ride vis a vis the cost of gas, you get to travel the country side on your way to Chianti, you get to stop at a couple of hill towns on the way north (Orvieto, Civita were recommended to me), stop to have a nice lunch on the way, you're not having to lug your luggage all over the place, etc, etc, etc.

Just another piece of information to help in your decision. Maybe someone else will have another recommendation?

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 10:50 AM

Another recommendation for picking up in Oriveto. An very easy location for car rental, close to the main highways up to Chianti. Take the smaller roads, not A1. You could also pick up in Siena, but would have to take a taxi from the train station to the rental location.

Buon viaggio!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

One thing I forgot to mention is we would be leaving Rome to Tuscany on a Sunday. Poor planning on my part but most smaller rental locations are closed that day.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:12 PM

The Termini Station and a couple of the downtown Rome offices are open on Sunday from 8:00 to 1:00, so Sunday shouldn't be a problem. Orvieto and Chiusi are both closed on Sunday. There are a couple downtown Florence offices that are open on Sunday, till 1:00 in the afternoon. Florence airport is open late on Sunday.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:32 PM
ira

Hi pudge,

>we would be leaving Rome to Tuscany on a Sunday<

Lucky you. Take the train to Orvieto, have dinner at I Sette Consoli (Piazza Sant' Angelo, 1A, Phone: 0763.343911), one of the best restaurants in Italy, spend the night in a beautiful hilltop town, and pick up your car in the morning.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 01:52 PM

Actually, ira makes a good point for your first night in Tuscany. That's what we're doing. Since Orvieto is in Southern Tuscany, train, spend the day to see the city and pick up the rental car in the morning and head for your B&B in Chianti. If Orvieto was on your list of places to see, it would save you a trip South.

Or, you could pick up the car in Rome, head up to Orvieto, stopping at Civita on the way, spend the day/night exploring the area, and head up to Chianti in the morning.

Here's the B&B that was recommended and where we are staying: http://www.locandarosati.orvieto.tr.it/

Also, I understand it is a great place to shop for ceramics and the like.

ira, is that restaurant open on Sunday?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. We have our place booked already in Tuscany so changing that might be a problem. We are staying at this place; http://www.chianticortine.it

Anybody know how long of a drive it is from Rome to the Chianti region?
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:38 AM

We drove Rome to Chianti region a couple summers ago, I believe, from my memory, that is was about 3 hours.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:43 AM
ira

Hi Budman,

If you mean I Sette Consoli, "Yes". They close Wednesday.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:52 AM

thanks, ira. We are going to try to make it either Friday or Saturday for lunch. Do these restaurants in Tuscany have set menus like those in France (starter, main course, dessert) for a fixed price or is it all ala carte?