Train or car in Bavaria

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 04:36 AM
John

Train or car in Bavaria

We will be staying in Garmisch, and have loved using the rail system in Switzerland and Germany. We would love to avoid using a car. Is it possible to have Garmisch as a home base and from it use the train to visit places such as Mittenwald, Linderhof, Ettal, and even train it to the Bodensee.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Wayne

Of course it's possible. If you love train travel, then you should certainly go for it.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:50 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I would drive--too much to see off the path. Good luck !

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:14 AM
notsure

Driving would be my choice too. It is so beautiful down there and the roads aren't difficult at all....we took a great drive from Garmish to Oberammergau to Linderhof through Austria around the Plansee (absolutely beautiful there) to Fussen for the Neuschwanstein thing....Was very scenic and easy drive.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Patricia

I would definitely drive. Attractions are not that close the train stations. It's not easy to get to the castles walking unless you park your car nearby. Lots of beautiful places to stop when you are passing by. And by the way.. driving the autobahns are REALLY FUN!!!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Kendra

I would also recommend driving. My husband and I were there in May and driving is easy.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Tom

I submit that Wayne's answer is by far the best so far, because it is really the only one that answers the question. <BR><BR>I, too, would always choose a car for Bavaria.<BR><BR>But here is John's initial premise:<BR><BR>"We would love to avoid using a car."<BR><BR>and here is his question:<BR><BR>"Is it possible to have Garmisch as a home base and from it use the train to visit places such as Mittenwald, Linderhof, Ettal, and even train it to the Bodensee?"<BR>

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Dick Yeager

John,<BR><BR>Here is a link to the main site of the German railroad. It will have all your answers as to where the trains go, etc.<BR><BR>http://www.bahn.de/pv/uebersicht/die_bahn_international_guests.shtml<BR><BR>Persona lly, I would drive.<BR><BR>Dick