Search

Train or Car?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 09:29 AM
stephanie

Train or Car?

My husband and I will be spending 2 weeks in France. One week in Paris and one week sightseeing in the Normandy and Loire Valley area. I have heard car travel in this area is easy but expensive. I am considering traveling by train and bus, but do not know the best way to plan that. Any suggestions?

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 09:49 AM
John

Hi Stephanie,<BR><BR>I have rented automobiles in most Western European countries and have not found major differences in cost including where you intend to spend your time.<BR><BR>You might want to check AutoEurope as a baseline for what is available.<BR><BR>I do not generally have a rental car when I am spending time in major cities like Paris/London/Rome.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:36 AM
David

You can do the Loire valley with train, but since you are going on to Normandy it would probably be easier to rent a car. <BR><BR>To avoid Paris traffic, consider taking the train to Tours, Orleans or Blois and rent your car there. See the Loire valley, drive to Normandy and drop your rental car off in Normandy, then take the train back to Paris. Unless you’re leaving directly from Normandy, then you could drive to the airport to drop your rental car.<BR><BR>FYI, Tours is a train stop and so is St Peirre de Corps. They are just a couple of minutes apart by rail. The TGV’s use St. Pierre de Corps before going on. St Pierre de Corps is better as there are more rental car agencies there than in the Tours train station proper.<BR><BR>Use www.sncf.com to price rail tickets and look at schedules. You can only buy or price a ticket as far out as 60 days from today. I found that the prices don’t change much. I can price a ticket for a Monday in 7 weeks and it will match the price and schedule for my trip 5 months from now. (Just watch out for French holidays.) You can save as much as half off of some train tickets if a J30 (30 day advance purchase ticket) is available. J30 fares can go pretty quickly so you’ll want to buy them as close to 60 days in advance as you can. Not all routes offer J30’s.<BR><BR>Try www.autoeurope.com, www.kemwel.com and www.rentacar-worldwide.com for lesser expensive rentals of 3 days or more. You can also check weekly rates at www.hertz.com, www.avis.com, www.europcar.com, etc. Every once in a while they’ll have a worthwhile deal. I’ve heard mostly good things about all these agencies. Rentacar-worldwide is new to me but their deals look really good. <BR><BR>The Loire Valley is loads of fun. Make sure to see Chenonceau, Chambord &amp; Cheverny (the three C’s.) Blois and Amboise are fun towns. Further west Saumur and Angers are both lovely. <BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Rex

Another vote for car for that second week.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:17 PM
up

topping, for stephanie<BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Carla

My sister and I bought a rail/drive pass from Rail Europe when we went to France a couple of years ago. It worked out very well. We took the train for the long distances and toured locally in the car. You have to buy it in the US and it is much, much cheaper than renting a car once you are in France.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Michael

Rent the car in Paris, the rental agencies are usually very good about directing you toward the p&eacute;riph&eacute;rique that circles Paris and connects to the major highways going south. You will have one hour of anxieties, but it will allow you to see major sights on the way to the Loire. If going toward Orl&eacute;ans, you can stop by Fontainebleau. If going toward Tours, you can stop in Chartres to see the cathedral.