Reload this Page >

Train or Bus - Gatwick to Bath

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 11:49 AM
mary lewis

We will be landing at Gatwick and need to get to Bath. I had just assumed we would take the bus (stops at Heathrow, then goes on to Bath). But then there was a thread about taking the train through Reading - the bus sounded a little less hectic - what is everyone's experience?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Wayne

I don't find the train alternative to be hectic at all; in fact, I would think it is easier than the bus and a lot more comfortable. It is more expensive than the bus, but it is a very pleasant ride. I have not, however, taken the bus to Bath. I have always gone by train, both from Gatwick and from London proper.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Choo

Taking the train is very easy and quite enjoyable. Lovely scenery, too.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 01:17 PM
ron

As I remember, one person on the previous thread claimed to find the Reading train station confusing. It is really a very simple small station; its hard to imagine how a person who found that station confusing could have successfully navigated even a medium-sized airport terminal.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 04:16 AM
kitty

I found Reading confusing. I have traveled all over the U.S. in all major airports (and some minor) and was able to get around those quite easily. We were confused in Reading because it was an extremely busy station when we arrived, we were very tired from just flying in from the states, we were lugging around luggage for four, and we couldn't figure out which platform to go to to find our train. We did easily find people to help us so it was not a big deal. We did then proceed to successfully get around train stations all over Great Britain for two weeks and did find Reading the most confusing of all the stations we encountered. The train from Reading to Bath was very full but, again, I think it was the time of day we arrived which appeared to be during rush hour.<BR><BR>That said, we would certainly do it again. It was not so confusing that we were concerned or put out. People in Great Britain are very kind and helpful to tourists. <BR><BR>One hint, I did figure out all the train time schedules prior to leaving the U.S. so we always knew what time the trains we would want would be leaving. This kept us from arriving at stations and having to wait a long time before a train came for where we wanted to go. We also had a Brit Rail pass which was also effortless. No standing is lines for tickets. Just hop on the train and go.<BR><BR>Good luck.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 09:53 PM
David

Just did the Gatwick to Bath thing last week via train and thru reading. It was very easy and comfortable. Absolutely no need for a first class seat - and I'm a guy who really beleives in "first-class". Luggage can be a problem, keep in mind, because there are only steps in most stations- no lifts or elevators. Its about a 2 1/2 hour trip. Make sure you get on the train that goes through Reading. Check out http//:www.geocities.com/travellynx for some helpful train links.