Train Info

Mar 19th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Train Info

Can anyone direct me to a website for train tickets/pricing for traveling between Italy, Switwerland, The Netherlands, and France? I tried the Eurail website but they seem to just be selling passes (no individual tickets). I don't need to buy tickets in advance, I just want to get some idea of how much it will cost to get from place to place so that I can plan my trip accordingly. Any ideas?
Mar 19th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Try www.bahn.de.

It's the Web site of the German railway system, but it has quite a lot of international information.
Mar 19th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Eloise,
www.bahn.de did give me some ideas about what routes are possible, but I wasn't able to get any pricing information at all. Do you have any personal experience with these trains?
Mar 20th, 2006, 02:50 AM

Italy: www.trenitalia.com
Switzerland: www.rail.ch
Netherlands: www.ns.nl
France: www.sncf.com

If a trip requires multiple changes and covers more than one country, you may need to price segments and then add them together to get a cost estimate. If you'll be traveling between countries on one train (e.g., Paris-Venice night train), you can price the whole trip on either sncf.com or trenitalia.com. There often are discounts for advance purchase on these national rail sites that will save you quite a bit of money compared to waiting to buy them when you're in Europe.
Mar 20th, 2006, 05:13 AM
ira

Hi E,

You can also use www.railsaver.com for estimates.

Keep in mind that there are discount fares, which you will find only at the national sites.

Mar 20th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! This is so helpful
Mar 20th, 2006, 09:34 AM

For sample train fares you and lots of info on using European trains i recommend getting the free European Planning & Rail Guide which has a fare chart, rail maps, suggested itineraries and lots on using trains (available free at: www.budgeteuropetravel.com) - www.ricksteves.com also has useful info on trains and fares, including discounts available only in Europe - as does www.euraide.com.