train, hotel advice sought

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to the Balkans to meet up with my parents who live in Lithuania. We are arriving in Budapest on Dec.22 and leave from Budapest Jan.6. We plan to spend Christmas in Sarajevo and New Year's in Dubrovnik. Hoping to take in Zagreb and other Croatian cities in between. Still not sure about after New Year's-- would I have time to check out Vienna, Lbujana, or Prague and be back to Budapest by the 6th? Recommendations? I am currently trying to decide if I should get an Eastern Europe Railpass or just purchase individual tickets once I get there. If anyone has some insight on train prices, I'm all ears. Also, I'm always looking for suggestions for cheap living accomodations (particularly apartments, since there will be 6 of us). Thanks a lot! I've enjoyed your postings.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 06:12 PM

Besides the Eastern European pass, starting in Jan 2005 there are new passes that combine travel in Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria and most of the former Yugoslavia so check these out. But if traveling in Austria then the Eur east pass may be best. Pt-pts in these countries are still dirt cheap but if you go first class, advisable for most tastes, then a pass may be best. check out pt-pt prices vs pass in www.railsaver.com.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 06:40 PM
rex

Even though I have not travled to most of the places you mention (I have been to Vienna and Prague in 2003, and to Zagreb and Ljubljana in 1969, though there was no independent travel involved on that trip, my first to Europe at age 15) - - I would routinely give this advice on evaluating the purchase of a "rail pass" (which I generally perceive to be a BAD purchase): check it out on www.railsaver.com

In this case, neither Sarajevo nor Dubrovnik are even listed on railsaver.com

In fact, I have some suspicion that yuo can't readily GET to Dubrovnik by train.

See http://web.tzdubrovnik.hr/gethere.shtml on ways to get to/from Dubrovnik; they don't even list train.

But I typed in some other cities, starting and ending in Budapest, including Vienna, Ljubljana and Split (which I realize you did not mention) - - and it confirms: no rail pass is as economical as simple point-to-poont tickets.

I actually think you list too many destinations for this period of time - - unless this is just some kind of scavenger hunt or something.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:14 AM
ira

Hi Chiquita,

I strongly recommend that you check out the train schedules at
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

For example, it is 12 hr by train from Budapest to Sarajevo, and 8 hr from Sarajevo to Zagreb.

Your current plan is an expedition, not a tour.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your good advice. I've decided to pare down my itinerary and focus mainly on Croatia (though an "expedition" does sound more fun than a "tour.&quot I've also decided to go ahead an just get pt-pt tickets, though I can't seem to find any listing at all of these prices (closest thing is at stevericks.com). Thanks again.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:18 AM
ira

Hi C,

>I've decided to pare down my itinerary and focus mainly on Croatia...<

An excellent idea.

Are your parents coming from Lithuania to share your visit?
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 10:52 AM

Yes! We're the parents who will make the expedition from Klaipeda, Lithuania to meet them in Budapest. We will join them for the train trip to Sarajevo and then drive to Dubrovnik. But we probably will be further up the coast for New Year's. Any advice on where to spend New Year's on the Dalmation Coast? How about Hvar?