Train from Zagreb to Bled.

Jun 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Train from Zagreb to Bled.

I am trying to book a train ticket from Zagreb to Bled and raileurope.com is asking me to contact their customer service. The problem is if I book using the customers service, they charge a $15 call center fee!!! I guess there's no way to get around it!

Anyway, my question is whether I need to make a reservation for these trains? It costs $11/person (on top of the ticket price) and I am travelling in mid-September with my wife and a 3-yr old. I am buying a seat for my 3-yr old. Is the first class significantly better for a three hour trip or second class is fine too?

Any advice?

Thanks,
D
Jun 18th, 2009, 12:28 PM

I think you are going to have to make a change in Ljub. I'd personally take the bus once you get to Ljbuljana since the train station in Bled is farther away, I've heard and I think the train is actually slower than the bus (bus is just about an hour or so). Anyways, when I was over there for five days, I never made train reservations in advance, just made sure I knew the schedules in advance. The trains between Zagreb and Ljubljana weren't crowded at all and I wouldn't bother spending more on 1st class.
Jun 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

The Rail Europe folks confirmed that I would not have to get off the train at Ljubljana. The same train continues on to Bled. This was important to me since I did not want to string along my 3-yr old and the luggage (car seat included).
Jun 18th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Rail Europe is usually a rip-off. I'd buy the tickets in Zagreb. I travel second-class, but I don't travel with a kid. First will give you slightly bigger seats. Bled is lovely place, but Ljubljana is a great destination, too. I did Bled as a day trip by bus.
Jun 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Yup, Bled is going to be my base. From there I am making day trips to Ljubljana and Julian Alps.
Jun 18th, 2009, 01:43 PM

I took that trip and bought my ticket on the spot. I don't think you need to buy it in advance. I booked a second class ticket and was alone in my little cabin for 6. When you get off you will get off in Bled-Lesche (sp?). From there you can either take a taxi to the lake or a bus. With luggage and a car seat, take a taxi. It's about 3 miles. Bled is lovely!
Jun 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone remember how much did the train ticket cost when it was purchased in Zagreb? And which year?

Rail Europe is quoting me $57/person for First Class and $38/person for Second Class for one-way. Reservation fee is $11/person one way. And then $18 for shipping the tickets and $15 for call center fee!

Total round trip amount for 3 Second Class tickets: $289
Jun 18th, 2009, 02:45 PM

I don't remember but it wasn't anywhere close to that. Seriously, you can buy your ticket at the time of travel. Don't waste money on all those fees. I traveled in June 2003 and the plane was nowhere near full.
Jun 18th, 2009, 02:51 PM

You could see what http://railsaver.com/ thinks it should cost (they tend to the high side as they don't include any discounts). You could check seat61.com/Slovenia.htm for the national rail companies and look on their sites.

My notes from 2004 say that I overpaid a travel agent for a one-way Lubljana-Zagreb ticket that cost 2,739 SIT. That currency is now obsolete, but xe.com says that would be $16 if it was still legal tender, which I think is about what it was then. But that was five years ago.
Jun 20th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Rail Europe is rip off. Just buy tickets on train station, no need for reservation. I think that return ticket cost 20Euro for one person.
Jun 26th, 2009, 12:32 AM

I agree take the Bus when you get to Lijubiana. I took the train to Bled, then we hiked into Bled.