Search

Piran or Opatija from Ljubljana

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piran or Opatija from Ljubljana

Hi again,
Both Piran and Opatija sound great from what I've read in books and seen online, but I only have time for one. If you could only visit one, which would you pick and why? Which has more vivid colored waters? Which has more interesting buildings, striking scenery and sites? Which would be easier to get to from Ljubljana? I had been thinking about Trieste too, but it looks like the transporation schedules aren't very good. Thanks!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Sorry to do this to you, but if I only had time for one it would be Rovinj. It's the most charming town on the Istrian Peninsula.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:46 AM

I agree with Catbert. Also, if you want vivid waters, skip the coast and head to the Soca River Valley.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations, but I think those may be too far. I'm wanting to do a daytrip from Ljubljana, taking a train or bus early in the morning and then getting back on a train around 18:00. Given that additional information, what do you think?
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:59 AM

In that case, I'd go to Lake Bled. It's only an hour by train and very beautiful.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

I'm already going to Lake Bled, already part of my itinerary.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 08:10 AM

Hopefully Jan will come back with suggestions. Living in Ljubljana, she will know the transport details better.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:21 PM

I, too, am thinking of going to Piran and Rovinj. I'll probably rent a car and do both. Rick Steves writes highly of Piran. He briefly comments on Rovinj as being "seedy, touisty, but fun." You might want to check his Eastern Europe book.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Hi
If you only have time for one, then go to Piran. It's right on the coast, with a great Italian Influence and good seafood restaurants. A lot of Italians come over by boat and spend the day, it is bi-lingual. In Italian it's Pirano. It's right on the water. The beach, if I recall is rocky not sandy and there were many families there visiting. It's a really nice place to visit. I also think Rovinj is a better looking place, but another compromise could be Porec. It's a really nice place also, closer to the Slovenia border. We spent several days there about 3 yrs. ago before moving on to Rovinj. I have also been to Piran and we stayed at an older hotel in the city center with a balcony overlooking the sea, Beautiful. It was my introduction to the Adriatic, and it is beautiful Stay away from Portoroz, near Piran, it's very touristy and built up with a different feel to it.
Enjoy
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks aeiger. Jeff, lucky you renting a car. Since I'm traveling alone, I'm sticking to buses and trains since I think it might be a little too much to be navigator and driver. I do have Rick Steve's Eastern Europe book, along with Lonely Planet, and other guides. When are you going?
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 05:47 PM

I'm considering going the first of May. But I'm still working on an itinerary. I've read about yours. Mine might not be as ambitious, but I find that by traveling alone you can see and do a lot. I tend to spend less time just hanging out and more time checking out the sights.

About the car, I'll probably only get one for 3-days. It's not all that expensive and it sure gives you lots of flexibility. It would be nice to have a naviagator, that is if you can find one that can read a map and you want to travel with. But I really haven't had a problem driving alone, at least not France and Germany.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Jeff,
On my trips I've taken with my mom in Ireland and England, we've always rented a car (I'm the driver) and it has been really great to have that flexibility. The bus and train will be novel and I figure it will be a way to connect with other people. I do have to say that I have vaguely considered the idea of a two day car rental to drive myself to Piran or Opatija. I still have plenty of time to figure that out since I'm not going until the very end of March or beginning of April.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 10:28 AM

hello aggiegirl, just read you message we stayed in Piran (beautiful place) this summer for a few days on our travels from Ljubjliana to Venice we went by coach as the train only took you to Koper and then you have to catch the coach at a small terminal. The coach from Ljubljiana only takes 2 1/2 hours and very scenic.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response, neetngaz. What was the bus like? Was it full? Was it a nice coach? How much did it cost to Piran?
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 06:23 AM

Ok, aggiegirl, I think you have already decided but I would recommend Piran. It is a cute little city, and many from LJ go there at least once/month.

I always drive so can't help you with bus details.
Cheers,
J
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:18 PM

Aggiegirl, good luck with planning your trip. I clicked on your name because I wanted to know if you can give me more info about Cillcoman Lodge near Westport, Ireland! I have a couple of questions posted about Westport, Ireland, and you could maybe give me a little more info there if you have time? (Spending 3 nights using Westport as a base for County Mayo. Will have car. Trip is in July 2006. If you click on my name you can find me and my Ireland questions! Thanks so much! It is difficult to find a place in/near Westport which is convenient for visiting the pubs with trad music in Westport town centre, yet is still quiet enough at night for sleeping (as I'm a light sleeper.) That's why I"m considering Cillcoman Lodge. Also wondering if parking in WEstport is difficult in July. Thanks! Good luck planning your trip
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jan, for your response.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:52 AM

we went to Portoroz 3 or 4 weeks ago and ended up 2km from Piran. It was absolutely beautiful.

we stayed at the 4 star hotel histrion for about 150 euros per night for 4 of us.

We flew into budapest and took a private plane for about 400 euros for the 4 of us from www.budapesthungary.hu , landed in Portoroz airport and took a 6 euro taxi to the hotel.

It was great, no customs, no q's, etc...

Ljubjana would have been only 1 hour drive from Portoroz

just another suggestion
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 03:09 AM

Rotoway, the earlier posts are nearly 2 years old but i guess you probably know that already.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 05:14 AM

We were in Piran during Tito's time and found it a delightful place for a couple of days. At that time, one parked in large lots outside the city gates and walked in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -