Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train from Venice to Florence...can we stop in Pisa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:40 AM
aj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand how to purchase point to point train tickets but can we stop and get off in Pisa and then get back on another train to Florence? Will this require several different tickets? Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:01 AM

Not to sound rude which I'm sometimes accused of, but I'm not sure how to put this any more delicately. Have you looked at a map? Pisa is not between the two cities you mention, so the bottom line is "no you can't get off the train in Pisa", since it won't be going anywhere near Pisa. You can go to Pisa on one ticket, then return to Florence, however.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:01 AM

The train from Venice to Florence does not pass through Pisa. There may be a train that continues on to Pisa, but you will probably need to change trains in Florence for a Pisa-bound train.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:02 AM

Good morning, AJ The train between
Venice to Florence does not go thru Pisa. Pisa is west of Florence so you will have to go into Florence and
change trains for the trip to Pisd. Your point to point would read Venice
to Pisa,and return, assuming you will be returning to Venice....seewww.trenitalia.it/. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:09 AM
ira

Hi aj,

If you go to www.multimap.com, you will see that Pisa is on the other side of Florence. At www.trenitalia.com/en you will find that you have to go through Florence to get from Venice SL station to Pisa. You can get off in Mestre and take the train to Pisa by way of Prato if you wish.

You can visit Bologna if you wish. If you go on the IC train, you can use your Venice to Florence ticket to get off in Bologna for a few hours. The ticket is good for at least 6 hr from the time it is stamped.

However, the price for Venice to Bologna and another ticket for Bologna to Florence is almost the same as for Venice to Florence on the IC.

If you buy ES* tickets you have to do it in two steps. This costs about 5E more.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:14 AM
aj
Original Poster

Thanks for the information! Stupid of me not to look at a map! I will try to do better next time!!! I love this site!
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:22 AM

No reason to apologize, and no it wasn't really stupid. Now if you had asked if you could get off in London on the way -- that WOULD have been stupid!!!! LOL