Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Il Falconiere or Locanda del Amorosa for Tuscany Trip??

Nov 6th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Would love to hear pros and cons of these two places for a visit to Southern Tuscany. We plan to stay in one location, and visit Assisi, Cortona, Montalcino, Montepulciano, and Pienza, and then anything else we can fit in.

I really like Amorosa, my husband really likes Falconiere.

Choice will be based on ambience, proximity to what we want to see, ease of getting to main roads, and value.

I have read only good reviews of Amorosa, while some negative ones of Falconiere had been posted here, which makes me hesitate.

Would love to hear first-hand accounts. What did you like, not like, would you stay there again, how were the rooms, food, etc.
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:20 AM

Both are wonderful properties for food, ambiance, and service. But, the most important criteria to me is always location, and Amosrosa wins that one hands down. Il Falconiere is too isolated.
Nov 7th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

I realize Sinalunga is not "central", but is it a reasonable base for what we want to see?
Nov 7th, 2003, 07:12 PM

Not to add to the indecision, but we just returned from SE Tuscany and loved our stay at Il Patriarca outside of Chiusi.
It's located about 1 mile off the A1 with easy access to the towns you mention. The service is excellent and the facility is elegant. The restaurant has a Michelin star and deals are available including a dinner or two.
Rates are very reasonable, especially the packages that include meals.
Have a great trip,
j.
Nov 9th, 2003, 08:39 AM

LOCANDA AMOROSA. LOCANDA AMOROSA. LOCANDA AMOROSA...NO QUESTION! the place is absolutely magical. I stayed there in september. It is more than worth the money and each of those towns is no more than a 15-20 minute drive from the grounds, with Pienza being even closer. the great thing about the location is that the Villa is a short drive from the main roads so it is VERY convenient.
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

We cannot afford to stay in anything but a standard room, but we are not fussy about size or "luxury" as long as the rooms are clean and have a decent bathroom.

We've heard the restaurant is outrageously priced, but it seems we'll be "stuck" there for dinner, as my husband does not want to venture out at night in a land unknown especially after a few glasses of wine at dinner. Are prices really that bad?

I just noticed that Amorosa has updated their web pictures and they are amazing!!!
Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:38 AM

I don't know if wanderer made a decision but I am wondering. For those of you that know Locanda Amorosa - what do the different catergories of room get you? Thanks for any help!