Train from stations in Provence to Barcelona, Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2019, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to spend part of vacation in Provence and then another part in Barcelona.
Which are the best options for train from Provence to Barcelona. Our likely area to stay in Provence is a smaller town near Avignon.
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 02:53 PM

There is an 8:40am direct from the Avignon TGV station, and more direct trains from Nimes

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 11:29 PM

Try Trainline.com or https://www.seat61.com/index-mobile.htm . You may find details here!
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 03:41 AM

We like to travel this route on the "slow" train between Avignon and Spain that goes along the coast. The scenery in many parts is quite lovely. - lots of marshes and flamingos. There are quite a number of stops along the way, but we're not usually in a hurry. You have to change at Port-Bou because the French and Spanish train tracks are different widths, but the train schedules are usually fairly well coordinated. We usually stop in Narbonne and Collioure for a night or two, but that's because we are more interested in the French towns than the Costa Brava.
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 03:53 AM

"We like to travel this route on the "slow" train between Avignon and Spain that goes along the coast."

That's a great suggestion, here are the details if you wish to travel this way:

https://rail.cc/en/blog/barcelona-marseille-nice-train
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

My overall plan is to arrive somewhere in Provence by train (likely) or plane (possibly), rent a car and explore from a home base for about 7 days. Then return the car and take the train (likely) or plane (possibly) to Barcelona and stay there for another 7 days. So, I'm looking for a train station in Provence that has good connection to both Paris and Barcelona and has a rental car facility. I guess the other option is an airport with good connections to both London Heathrow and Barcelona (although my first search suggests Marseille does not qualify for that).

Or failing all that, perhaps some different place for a second week that has good connections from Provence.
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 05:01 AM

"So, I'm looking for a train station in Provence that has good connection to both Paris and Barcelona and has a rental car facility."

That's Avignon as already pointed out in the 1st reply to your OP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_d%27Avignon_TGV
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Avignon sounds like it then - thanks
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 06:31 AM

As said above, there is one daily train from Avignon TGV to Barcelona - Madrid whereas there are four daily trains from Nimes and Montpellier (both railway stations in the city center) to Barcelona.
Journey time Montpoellier - Barcelona: 3 hrs.
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 06:40 AM

But Nimes and Montpellier are in Languedoc, not in Provence.
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Nimes could be the other option. It's only 60 minutes by car from Saint-Remy or 75 minutes from L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, two of the many options for a home base. But certainly Avignon is much closer to those spots.
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 07:22 AM

I can't see why you'd spend that kind of time driving to Nīmes or Montpellier just to hop a train. It's not as though you're going to gain any time getting there, especially when you figure in the time to actually get into Nīmes or Montpellier, find the car rental drop-off place, fill out the paperwork, etc.

Why not keep it simple?
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Why? I might if I thought 8:40am was too early and I could get a noon departure by driving an extra 45 minutes. But 8:40am is not that early. I will have a car regardless, so drop off is drop off wherever I do that.
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 08:50 AM

" But Nimes and Montpellier are in Languedoc, not in Provence"

I know, of course; but most posters in this forum don't and count Pont du Gard, Villeneuve-les-Avignon, Uzes or Nimes to "Provence"
And if OP's "smaller town near Avignon" is more than 2 miles West of Avignon, he will be in Languedoc anyway.
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 08:56 AM

The Avignon TGV station is very easy to find & navigate through. Not so the Montpellier station because of the one-way streets in Montpellier. We got hopelessly lost about 4 years ago.. The Nimes station is easy too.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by StCirq
We like to travel this route on the "slow" train between Avignon and Spain that goes along the coast. The scenery in many parts is quite lovely. - lots of marshes and flamingos.
I agree; I've only travelled this route once, but I was enchanted by the marshes. At times the train appeared to be passing through the sea. I don't remember seeing flamingos, though.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 03:06 PM

I think seeing flamingos depends on the time of year. Last time we took this train was in February or March - maybe they are hanging out there in late winter/early spring. At any rate, it's a beautiful ride and, yes, you think you're riding through the sea at some points.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 03:39 PM

We took a combo of local trains from Barcelona to Banyuls Sur Mer, spent a night there, and took a night train from Banyuls to Nice.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 11:55 PM

Wow, the Nice - Portbou night train!

That must have been quite a few years ago! You're very lucky to travel in those times.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 12:36 AM

I think seeing flamingos depends on the time of year. Last time we took this train was in February or March
This trip was in late April. We were travelling towards dusk and the light on the water added to the marvel.

We're beginning to see occasional flamingos in Senigallia, on the Adriatic coast. They're just passing through, apparently, or maybe blown off course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -