Train from Salzburg to Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to find out if I can take a train from Salzburg to Prague. If so, how long is it? What is the cost? If not, should I go to Vienna or Munich to do this? Again, what is the best/cheapest/fastest way?

Thanks
Confused
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 11:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can check the Austrian railway timetables at:

http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp

There is a daily direct train in the afternoon. It takes 6:20 hours. If I'm reading the fare info correctly (it's in German), the 2nd class adult fare on this train is about 60 euros. First class adult fare is about 95 euros. There are probably family fares.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 11:43 AM

Dear confused,

Did you find a train from Salzburg to Prague? My wife and I are going to do the same at the end of the month.

I figured one would go through Vienna, however one would think a driect train from Salzburg to Prague would be better, but leaving in the afternoon means getting to Prague late--missing out on sights in that great city.

Please e-mail a reply if you found anything. If you are still 'confused' as I am currently, anything I find out here in the meantime(New York City, USA) I can pass on to you if you'd like.

Thanks a bunch,

Matt
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM

matt01 - Did you try checking that link?

It should be pretty simple to find that, yes, you can take day trains to get from Salzburg to Prague earlier.

There's a 3-connection (i.e. 4 trains) option that departs 9:08a and arrives 4:41p.

There's a 2-connection option that departs 11:32a and arrives 6:41p.

They require changes at Linz, (Summerau), and Ceske Budejovice. Not through Vienna.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 02:54 PM

Going through Vienna will mean longer time, and also transfering from Westbahnhof to the Südbahnhof. Just search for Salzburg-Vienna and Vienna-Prague separately.

You can probably take the 9am that departs Salzburg, arriving Vienna West at 11:40. Then the 12:58 from Vienna South to Prague, arriving 5:29/5:49p (depending on which station you want to get to). That's almost 9 hours of travel time.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Rrkwan:

Thanks for the info. I checked the link and I found the trains you mention. I wonder what the "VORTEILScard" is to get the discounted ticket.

Is First class worth it, that is, is it quite different from a 2nd class ticket?

I imagine it would be best to buy the tickets once in Salzburg, no?

Thanks much,

Matt