Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train from Rome-Naples, how difficult to change ticket time if needed?

Dec 9th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

We'll be arriving at FCO, heading to Naples, and I'm considering purchasing the train tickets to Naples prior to arriving in Italy to take advantage of the 30% discount (party of 4 so the savings adds up). One change is permitted. Is changing times a simple matter of going to the ticket counter like purchasing a new ticket? We're arriving on Friday, April 23 if that makes a difference.

Thank you.
Dec 9th, 2009, 04:02 AM

You can't purchase this far in advance on Trenitalia. If you are from the US, Trenitalia usually doesn't accept US credit cards. Ticket changes must be made 24 hours in advance and only if places are available.
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD
Dec 9th, 2009, 04:05 AM

Is your final destination Naples or somewhere on the Amalfi coast?
Dec 9th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Clearly my eyes aren't reading correctly this morning - I mistook the 24 hr notice as being able to change within 24hr prior to departing. I did know it was too early to purchase tickets.

Guess it means I wait until I'm there and pay the extra money.
Dec 9th, 2009, 04:14 AM
GAC

You really need to study the rules on changing reservations for the 30% promotional tickets. THE RULES HAVE CHANGED AND ARE MUCH, MUCH MORE RESTRICTIVE.

The NEW rules (effective 12/13/2009) allow you to make ONE reservation change up to 24 hours PRIOR to scheduled train departure, but NOT AFTERWARDS. There are other restrictions.

In short, your plan won't work, at least not for the advance purchase promotional tickets.

Even without making a change in the reservation, you could "hop on" a later or an earlier departing train to Naples, but would be subject to paying (i) an administrative fee of 8 Euros per ticket, plus (ii) any higher difference in fare between the discounted ticket you hold and the "base" fare for the train you hop on. The "hop-on" privilege window is ONE HOUR BEFORE to ONE HOUR AFTER scheduled departure of the train for which you hold the ticket. You may not "hop on" a "regionale" train IF you hold an electronic ticket.

Here are the complete rules:

NOTE: The translation (from Italian) of the rules for ticket EXCHANGES is incorrect. The deadline is 24 hours PRIOR to train departure (for the advance purchase promotional fares).

It is not sufficient to read the rules in English, because sometimes the translations are incorrect!!! I usually ignore the English translation because I know that it is sometimes incorrect.

Here are the rules in Italian:

Dec 9th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Final destination is Positano and I'm aware we could hire a car service, however the group decided they want to be able to stretch their legs and walk a little after a long flight, which the train will allow - unless we're convinced otherwise.............
Dec 9th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

GAC - I stand corrected and I'm aware I can't do that!
Dec 9th, 2009, 04:26 AM
GAC

A note to travellers:

If you are holding a Trenitalia ticket for a long-distance train at the "base" fare, you are allowed to make ONE reservation change up to ONE HOUR AFTER scheduled departure of the train for which you are holding the ticket. This is useful in case you MISS your scheduled departure. However, after the one-hour window lapses, your ticket becomes worthless.

For Frecciarossa and Frecciargento trains, you can make this reservation change at the mobile ticket counters directly at the head of the platform from which the replacement train departs (without needing to go to the main ticket windown line). This can be done at the following stations: Torino Porta Nuova, Milano Centrale, Bologna Centrale, Firenze SMN, Roma Termini, Roma Tiburtina, Napoli Centrale.

Here is more information about this handy service:

NOTE: Ignore the last sentence in italics. It's incorrect and outdated.

Here are the rules in English for the "base" fare ticket:

NOTE: The foregoing information pertains to holders of tickets at the "base" fare and NOT one of the discounted promotional tickets.
Dec 9th, 2009, 04:48 AM

Another option is the bus from Rome (Tiburtina station) to Sorrento depending what time you are arriving FCO. Curreri departs Rome at 2 pm (16€), Marozzi at 3 pm (17.5€). There used to be a third bus company, Buonotourist, that departed FCO to Salerno, but I'm not sure it's still operational although I saw their buses last time I was there. A schedule is still listed on busweb, but not sure how accurate (departs FCO at 3:20).

It might be better to take the train from Rome to Salerno and avoid Naples.