Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train from Paris to Switzerland/Northern Italy, what stops do you recommend for week.

Search

Train from Paris to Switzerland/Northern Italy, what stops do you recommend for week.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will travel from Paris to where we are not sure, hoping you guys could help me with some plans. We have never been to Switzerland or Northern Italy, thinking of ending up in Milan with flight to London on end of trip. Do you have some travel stops that you could share. Some breathtaking villages to stay in for a couple of days and then progress. Thanks
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 01:42 PM

Hi all,

Here is jelane's earlier post with a few replies:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34938721

s
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 02:02 PM

It seems that you have another post about staying in Provence and then taking a train from Paris, and seeing some Swiss and Italian items. And you have another post which just confuses things more.

So if you are in Provence why are you going to Paris to get to Switzerland and Italy? Do you have a map of Europe?

Do you have a guide book? I'd prefer a week in Brooklyn to a day in Milan. For London I would brown bag it. Yeah sure, the food critics say the food is great now, but they don't have to pay the price.

My suggestion FWIW is go north to Amsterdam with a stopover in Brugge and Antwerpen. Day trip from Amsterdam to Haarlem, and to Zandvoort if it is a hot Sunday. I've lived in Haarlem and many of my posts have information about the city. Click my name in this post.

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

I was very afraid that this would happen, I actually just by searching the help menu today realized how you find your post, I got so agitated that I posted again, now I have it......so sorry for making such a mess of things.....I am not as confused as it sounds. We will be staying in Provence for a week returning to Paris by train....we are going to take another week and instead of booking another week in Provence I thought it would be so great to see some part of Europe that we had never seen. So I wondered what a trip to Switzerland and Northern Italy would be for us......Not trying to confuse anyone.....You have to be so careful on these boards sometime, people seem to get really angry if they think someone is yanking them around......It is all just an innocent mistake of being new to the board for only a few months.....If you have some information it would be appreciated, if you don't I am quite good at researching on my own...Have been in many countries, and always love hearing first hand of people's love of their travels.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:39 PM

je;ame,

if you are coming from Paris, you can take a fast (TGV) train to either Geneva or Bern to start your Swiss week. If you have a week, a nice way to spend it might be to head for Geneva and spend a few days in that area---not Geneva itself, but the charming towns along Lac Leman.

Then take the train from Montreux over to the Berner Oberland for a few more days. IF you are looking for "breathtaking" villages, I suggest wither Mürren or Wengen. Then train south through Kandersteg and Brig to Milan to catch your flight to London.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:21 AM

Hi again,

Hope you aren't taking my posts as criticisms, just letting you know --

Another way to find your own posts is to click on your own name at the top of the page.

s
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:37 PM

Sorry to be so harsh jelane. Actually the Fodor's forum is not very intuitive. I should strike the word very. Newbies often come in through the side window. You "learn on the job" at this place.

But back to my comments. Provence to Italy via Paris? Pourquoi? And my reply recommending the Netherlands -- everybody speaks English up there. You'll love it.

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
From Paris, I would take a fast train to either Lausanne and Geneva. Then I would spend time in Lausanne, Vevey, and Montreux which are all right along Lac Leman. They are breathtaking towns imo. From there it's easy enough to go on to Milan, if you wanted to.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:01 PM

In November I did a similar trip as you plan. Went by TGV from Paris to Bern, 1 night, then to Interlaken, 2 nights incl Jungfrau trip through some spectacular country, and then to Zurich. You could then train it to Italy or fly from Zurich. Switzerland is not as expensive as legend has it. Get smart for main meals by eating at department store restuarants to save heaps. Shop at supermarkets for basic supplies, drinks and eats.