Train from Paris to Strasbourg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I will be in Paris December 6-13, this is my 9th trip in 10 years so while I adore Paris I'm thinking of taking the train the Strasbourg for the day and need some help. I have gone to RailEurope and see that it is indeed doable, leaving from Gare de l'Est a little before 7 a.m. and arriving back in Paris about 11 p.m. but have booking questions. I see I can do this on 12.8 and I think the cost was around $198 USD but my question, does this need to be booked online now or can I wait until I arrive in Paris on the 6th? Will there be a higher charge for the ticket if I do wait? This is just a whim but I've been to Strasbourg several times, once visiting the Christmas markets and would like to do it this trip. Any words of wisdom, helpful hints or advise is greatly appreciated and I look forward to opinions. Thanks in advance for your help.
Susan
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 02:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Book ahead through www.tgv.com certainly not Rail Europe.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 02:20 PM

DON'T BOOK THROUGH RAILEUROPE. They are a rip-off merchant

Follow the advice in

http://seat61.com/France.htm#Strasbourg
http://seat61.com/France.htm#if%20yo...in%20the%20USA

Just ignore the bit about Eurostar
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Words of advice: next time, buy online 3 months before your travel date and get the really cheap PREMs fares.

Actually, the best deal I see for you on the SNCF site at this late date is 132 euros, which isn't THAT much less than $198.00. But I'd still snag it rather than pay those fees to Rail Europe. And I'd do it quickly, because there are limited seats available as of now at that price for those dates and times.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

kerouac, alanRow & StCirq - thank you all for the information you provided. kerouac, when I went into the tgv website it automatically sent me to Rail Europe but after reading the link provided by alanRow I understood why and that I should not enter USA but instead stay in the French site. StCirq, you are correct, I should have booked earlier, much earlier, but this was a whim and I'm going to pass on it this trip, I will find much to do in Paris and will stay there instead. Again, I appreciate your taking the time to respond and set me straight.
Susan
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 12:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RailEurope is the North American MARKETING arm owned jointly by the SNCF and Swiss Fed Railroads and that is why you got automatically switched..so it is the railroad that is supposedly "ripping you off."