Train from Nice to Lyon, France

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2019, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to get an idea of train times between Lyon and NIce, and the online site, when I google this, will not give me any information. I've been using raileurope. Does anyone have any experience with this who can give me information? Is it easy to just go into the station in Nice and buy a ticket, or should I do this in advance?
Thank you!
Wendy
Old May 9th, 2019, 05:32 AM

The cheapest web fare you can get if you book well ahead is 10 EUR. At Nice railway station you may pay up to 100 EUR.
Timetable: https://ch.oui.sncf/fr/proposition/o...05e00d67557057
Old May 9th, 2019, 07:50 AM

Just fyi, as mentioned here before the third party booking sites like raileurope and www.thetrainline.com generally charge an additional booking fee, although many people find them easier to look at than the French rail site in terms of just looking at the schedules. But when I get ready to book I always use the French rail site: https://www.sncf.com/en Also, usually you can't book a ticket more than about 90 days out, so if you are planning you may want to just look at a date a few months from now to get an idea of the general schedule-they do change some but on most routes times stay more or less the same usually.

And yes the cheapest fares will be ones you book ahead and are generally non-refundable but if you need the flex, on most routes I can usually get a fairly good price a week or so out.
Old May 9th, 2019, 07:58 AM

You can also use www.trainline.com, which has the exact same timetables and fares as SNCF and is easier to use. Don't bother with RailEurope.
Old May 9th, 2019, 08:15 AM

Definiely forget Rail Europe as they surcharge tickets as that they are more expensive than other sites like trainline.com. www.seat61.com has loads on booking own tickets - general info www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.
Old May 9th, 2019, 08:56 AM

Sometimes Trainline doesn't actually have all the same train schedules as SNCF, but I think for the most part it does. Raileurope sure doesn't.

It isn't true that Raileurope doesn't show those times, though, I just looked at it and it does show times between Nice and Lyon on 5/30, 6/30 and even 7/30. It's about 4.5 hours.

I don't know what it means "when I Google this", though. You aren't Googling when you fill in the raileurope search boxes. So perhaps that's the problem, not even going to a website. If you won't do that, you won't get them any other way.