Train from Munich to Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The train trip from Munich to Venice is around 7 hours. Should we take the 7 am train and enjoy the scenery, or should we sleep on the train overnight? We are going to be on our honeymoon. Is the train ride from Munich to Venice scenic?? Fiance' has never been on a train. Or should we just fly??
Blue skies
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Get a sleeper and save a night in a hotel. If you figure the time to get to the airport, check-in, waiting for your bags then coming into town from the airport it may be a coin-flip on time
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:50 AM
ira

Hi K,

We took the day train from Munich to Venice and found it to be a very enjoyable ride.

You could take the 11:30 AM.

>Fiance' has never been on a train. Or should we just fly??<

Definitely the train. Spring for the private double if you want to go at night.

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:34 AM

Take the train during the day. The scenery is very good, you will pass through Austria and the mountain scenery is generally very pretty. You will most likely still have snow in higher areas in May, which I see from your other posts is when you will be there. Reserve a seat in the dining car and have a civilized lunch with wine. (You can reserve a table when you make your train reservation.) Consider going first class for more privacy and a bit more room.

I agree the 11:30 am EC train is best, as there are no changes required at it is the shortest trip. IMO the overnight trains depart too late or arrive too early to be enjoyable, as the trip is not that long. You either end up departing at midnight, even though you will have checked out of your hotel at Noon and have to do something with your bags, or arriving in the early am and net being able to get into a hotel.

I totally agree that door to door, flying probably won’t save a whole lot of time, esp the airport in Venice which is a bit of a pain to get to and from. Finally, there is also something magical about arriving right onto the water at the Venice station, and getting in a water taxi to the hotel.

Fiancé has never been on a train in his/her life? Amtrak? Airport shuttle train?
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:29 AM
rex

<<Fiancé has never been on a train in his/her life? Amtrak? Airport shuttle train?>>

Not that surprising to me. I'll wager that half the twenty-somethings in the US have never been on a train. Two-thirds, if you restrict to west of the Appalachians.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:36 AM

I've done this trip in reverse, leaving Venice in the early afternoon. The scenery was beautiful, especially when we were crossing the Alps with the full moon illuminating the snow.