Train from Munich Airport to Garmisch-Partenkirschen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Garmisch-Partenkirschen and will be arriving at Munich airport. I know to get the SBahn to Hauptbahnhof or to Pasing stations.

Does anyone have suggestions on which station I should transfer at? Also how difficult is the transfer with two pieces of luggage?

Lastly, which platform should I go to or does the platform number change.

Since my German sucks, I may not be able to read the kiosk signs.

Thanks,
Maliburock
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 11:11 AM
J62

check schedules at www.bahn.de

You don't need to read German to read track numbers on kiosk or any other sign.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 11:20 AM

All of the attendents at the ticket windows at the main train stations have spoken English a lot better than my German. They and get you the right ticket and head you off to the easy to understand tracks and platforms.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 01:43 PM

There's still construction going on at Pasing station. Nevertheless, it's far less hassle there than downtown. No idea if elevators are working now! It's a very old station which will be fitted with state of the art technology. You will have to change platforms there (arriving 4-5, departing 2-3) and cross via an underpass with your luggage. Car traffic which was passing south of the station will be diverted to the north of the station. The station itself will suffer from construction for a few more years!
Your other alternatives are changing trains at central station with elevators everywhere or twice at Laim and at Pasing. This will be the fastest alernative.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 01:46 PM

Arriving 6-7. Downtown is 4-5, 2-3 is regional trains (Garmisch), 1 is seldom used, 8-9 is mostly long distance ICE.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

I would like to thank all who have replied. Logos999, thank you for the train numbers. I was concerned about moving from one train to another. In my past trip to Europe I got into problems trying to figure out which train to go to or which part of the train to go to. I never realized that trains split with half going one direction and the other to wherever. But as one person stated in another post, making mistakes can be fun. I think I enjoyed Evion more than I would have enjoyed Bern