Inexpensive/cheap dining in Cap Ferrat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any inexpensive/quick-bite eateries in Cap Ferrat?

Don't get me wrong--my wife & I certainly appreciate/enjoy 5-Star/fine dining just as much as the next Gourmand/Foodies. But we will be staying in Cap Ferrat next week...with our two kids (12 & 9)...and being that they are typical American kids, they do not like expensive/"fancy" dining spots (thankfully!)

Are there any inexpensive dining options in the Cap? When we've been in Paris, we (the kids, especially) love just grabbing a Crepe...sandwich...Pizza slice...Croissants & cheese, etc at the many "grab-and-go" options. I'm wondering if there are similar options in Cap Ferrat?

(My other option is to shop at groceries/supermarkets...since our Apartment has a kitchen.

Many thanks for your suggestions!
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope someone can help. Why is it I think the terms "cheap/inexpensive" and Cap Ferrat are somehow mutually exclusive?
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 08:37 AM

They are definitely mutually exclusive, but IMO finding food in France is never an issue and I can't fathom why folks think they need to plan in advance to do so. It's always just around the corner. Plus, I highly doubt anyone who gets specific advice on where to grab a sandwich ever even follows up on it.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

StCirq--
Believe me, I will definitely follow up on it! Our kids get bored in sit-down restaurants--more so in formal restaurants. They're not impressed with $$$$ veal/seafood dishes. They'd rather grab a sandwich...and sit in a park or low-key cafe.

I've never been to SJCF...and am under the impression that it is the land of 5-Star/$$$$$ restaurants. My fallback option is to drive into Nice for dining (I am familiar with the city)--but am hoping to avoid doing this.

Perhaps the dining is less formal/trendy/expensive in Beaulieu sur Mer...or Villefranche sur Mer???
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 10:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
There are options in pretty little St-Jean le Port. There is a restaurant with outdoor dining on the second level. There is a sign that says pizza, sorry don't remember the name. We had a fantastic, not pizza, lunch there, not expensive.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 10:54 AM

As one who also has a French dining questions thread going here, I can assure posters that I do track down places that are recommended, even when they are casual.

Florence comes to mind, where many sandwich places and casual places are somewhat well known and where I've gone on recommendations to get casual food.

Ray, we will be in St Jean Cap Ferrat on your heels, so I hope you will report back with what you find and like. We will have an apartment so we are also looking for food shopping tips.

HappyTrvlr: I can't wait to check out "pretty little St-Jean le Port." Thanks.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 11:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I am traveling right now. When I return home I'll to find my St-Jean notes.We walked down the hill there from Villa Ephrussi and after lunch walked to Villa Kerylos in Beaulieu. It is such a pretty small town.
You have made a good choice with Cap Ferrat.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP: make sure your kids retain that outlook.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 11:42 AM

St Jean has many normal French people who live there and so there are restaurants in St Jean to cater for them. There are many reasonably priced -for the South of France- restaurants down at the sea to cater for most people on holiday. Alternatively, many French families picnic on the beach in the evening. It is a great place; you will love it.