Train from Milan to Venice

Old Jul 27th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from Milan to Venice

When you are on the train from Milan to Venice, can you stop in Verona and hang out for a while and reboard the train? Or do you buy separate on and off tickets to be able to do that.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 11:29 PM

On fast trains, each ticket is good only for a given train (the one written on the ticket) so you have to buy separate tickets.

On regional trains there are different rules for short (<200 kms) and long trips (>200kms). On long trips:
- online tickets (better avoided) are good for four hours after the train leaves from its original station;
- paper tickets must be time stamped at the machines before boarding and are good for 24 hours, so in this case you can stop in Verona and reboard another train.
If a ticket expires while you are on a train you are allowed to go to final destination without intermediate stops.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 06:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The faster AV (Freccia) and IC train tickets are for a specific train/time and a specific seat on that train. If you want to use the faster trains you would buy a ticket Milan/Verona and Verona/Venice for the times you wanted. You don't have to validate these tickets before boarding as they will be checked on board.

Even using the regional trains (R trains), I would probably buy Milan/Verona so you don't have to worry about the time.

>>>paper tickets must be time stamped at the machines before boarding and are good for 24 hours, so in this case you can stop in Verona and reboard another train.<<<

200km tickets are only good for 6 hours, but this route (Milan/Venice is probably longer.

You will need to store your luggage while in Verona. Sometimes there are lines and you will need to provide ID.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 07:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
By ROAD the distance Milan-Verona is about 175 Km so I suspect the rail distance would probably be shorter. Obviously the distance Milan-Venice is longer.

The Verona station is an easy walk (about 20 minutes or so, all flat, all sidewalks) from the center or at least the arena area of town. Head out of the station and immediately turn RIGHT, go through the adjacent carpark, pass the outdoor restaurant on your right and look for the gasoline station a bit further on your right. At that point cross the highway band on the other side turn right again and follow the sidewalk-bikepath which curves around to your left. Pass the old city gate on your right and you will be on the Via Corso, the wide boulevard which leads you directly to the center.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 07:50 AM

If taking a regional train to Verona you can get off at a secondary station that I think is closer to the historic town center even than the main one Dukey talks about.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 10:05 PM

Milan to Venice is more than 200 kms.
As you arrive in Verona, go to the station tobacco shop near the exit and buy a couple of bus tickets. Bus #11, #12 and #13 go to the Arena area in few minutes and leave from a bay just a little on the right as you exit. Confusingly, buses change numbers on Sunday and at night, but the service from station to arena and vv. is frequent.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 04:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>a secondary station that I think is closer to the historic town center <<<

It won't have luggage storage.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 11:57 AM

Verona Porta Nuova does not have luggage storage - it did several years ago but may well not anymore I guess.
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 10:00 PM

Verona Porta Nuova does have luggage storage - or it did as of 10 July 2013. No ID was required, and they let us leave it there for 6 days - although the official notice said 5. Maybe we were lucky, but there was no queue and the guy was pretty laid back.

I second the comment about online tickets - they proved to be a hassle if you missed that train - we had no trouble buying tickets Verona to Milano about half an hour before the train left from the automated machines. The queue at the ticket office though was very long!!
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 12:26 PM

You can take regional trains that are not all that much slower I believe on this route and just buy the ticket before boarding or an IC ticket that does come with seat reservations but at a prices much lower often than high-speed type trains. and Regionale and IC trains are likely to stop at the quiet Porta Nuova station closer to the town center if I recall right and where there should be no lines at the left-luggage counter that it indeed does have unless closed in the last few weeks - maybe kybourbon had an update that it was closed recently to be so emphatic in her statement to the contrary?