Train from Milan to Paris-question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking an 8:00 a.m. train from Milan to Paris on June 4. Do I need to buy tickets in advance on internet? Also, what is the difference between the 2 levels of 1st class? One is called "flexible"...If we are an hour away from Milan how much in advance do we need to get to the train station that morning?
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:09 AM

My understanding is that fleixible means you can pick your travel day after you buy the ticket. The other choice, usually at a lower price, ties you to a specific day and time just like a non refundable airline ticket.

The train car would be the same regardless of flexible or "inflexible".

I think first class is marginally worth the extra cost, but there is not the dramatic difference that you find between business class and coach class on a trans Atlantic flight.

The main station in Milan is fairly large and can be confusing to a first timer. Being risk averse, I would leave myself at least 30 minutes of lead time. That way you will have time to buy what you want to take with you, find your train, the correct car and the correct seat.

Given that you will be on the train for 7 hours, you may want a few items to read and even to eat and drink although a bar car is available.

In first class you should have no problem with luggage stowage, but the TGVs have fairly compact seating even in first class.

I found that the seats in 1st class had a little more leg room and were a little wider than in 2nd class. I also recall that they were more adjustable in terms of reclining slightly.

Others will have good information for you.

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your information!! Do the seats fill up so that we should buy in advance??
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:54 AM

Buying in advance? I would say it depends. If June 4th is on the weekend it might be a good idea. If you will be in Milan several days ahead of time then I suggest you buy the tickets then, from either a train station or travel agent(no fee). Sometimes buying tickets at the station can take awhile so you wouldn't want to have to purchase them right before getting on the train. The Trenitalia sight is notorius for being difficult - can you buy the tickets from SNCF? tho that can be dificult too. If SNCF sells the tickets see if you can get discoutned ones at this time. I used to always just buy the tickets after I got to Italy but with discounts now being available for some buy-ahead purchases I have started trying to purchase ahead of time. The web-sites can be trying though but if you run into trouble there are alot of people on this board who will try to help!
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:18 AM

The seating on TGV services (if that is, in fact what you are taking and I suspect that it is)in First is 2 + 1 and the seating in second is 2 + 2 as I recall.

As to Milan Centrale...there is a separate area/window where you buy/pick up cross-border tickets and that is fairly well marked when you walk into the station. It is NOT up on the main platform level but rather off to the side.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:20 AM

June 4 is a Wednesday.

Being risk averse, I buy in advance if I am locked into a specific day except in Switzerland where trains are frequent between major cities.

Seat reservations on this particular train are mandatory. If you already know that you are traveling on June 4, I suggest pricing the train now and see if a reduced fare is not available.

In fact, I have the impression that all TGVs require seat reservations.
(I never rode one that did not.)