Train From Madrid to bacelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Madrid then going to Barcelona for a cruise. Having trouble booking train online'
Any sugestions,May have to fly,but would father take train
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 06:12 AM

I assume you are having trouble booking the train becasue they are asking for the national ID number.

I think I entered my passport number and that worked or call RENFE in the US and ask what is the correct entry.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 06:42 AM

Sandy, when are your dates? I don't think you can purchase tickets more than 60 days in advance.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 08:09 AM

I'm having trouble buying a ticket at the renfre site as well. I've registered successfully but when it comes to paying the site refused one credit card and when I tried another it says 'operation in progress' when the screen didn't change after I clicked on 'comprar' - buy....
I'll try one more.....
Any ideas? I called the first cc company and they claim it's not blocking anything...oy!
The third card was also rejected -
I think I read something that says you have to use a card from a Spanish bank......my Spanish is not that great...is that true?
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 08:37 AM

Maribel has a "tutorial" for buying tickets at the RENFE website. Maybe it'll help...

http://maribelsguides.com/renfetickets.htm
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM

Yes, I did read Maribel's guide as well as something on the subject from tripadvisor. It seems that US credit cards don't work. I called and spoke to someone at Renfe who said I could do it over the phone with an Amex card but the fare was over 100 € instead of the web fare of 42 €......
Thanks anyway.....Maybe I'll just have to call BETS on Monday...
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM

Hi Mara,
Have you had any luck yet with purchasing the Renfe ticket? I've always purchased mine online with my US credit card with 3 digit security code (my last train trip was Nov.). If US cards don't work, this is something that has changed recently, within the last month or two. Don't know what's up with this.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 06:19 PM

Maribel, after I called Renfe and spoke to an English representative and was told the website doesn't accept American CC cards I gave up...I tried numerous times on both Mozilla and IE as I read somewhere that the site might work better with IE. When I tried with the Amex card another screen popped up for me to put in the security code - this didn't happen with the VISA card.

So instead I bought a plane ticket from BCN to MAD - actually it cost €53.50 including €10 to check my suitcase - they have strict rules and if your suitcase is too heavy or too large they charge more at check-in.

So about €10 more expensive to fly than the Renfe web fare and of course much cheaper than buying a train fare when I landed. I would still like to know if anyone is able to buy a train ticket with a US card.

When I bought my Alhambra ticket, the website knew it was not a Spanish bank card, and requested more info - my address, I think it was but after that it went right through.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Hi,
I recently took the AVE from Madrid to Sevilla. I did not book my train tickets in advance but purchased them at the AVE counter right at Barajas airport. The counter is down the corridor to your left right after baggage claim. There was no line and it was quick and easy. Additionally, if you save your one-way AVE ticket to Barcelona and are returning, present it upon purchasing your return trip in Barcelona. You will receive a significant discount for the return trip. Not sure why but its a good deal. AVE rocks! 300kph!
Safe travels...
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 11:04 PM

on many websites now one's card must be "visa verified" or mastercard veriied" with electronic signatures.

Amex has not implemented this system on renfe.es

I have been trying to get my SPANISH cards verified through this system ( seems to be directly through one's bank) for several days. it has been a nightmare, not recognizing passwords, usernames, etc.

so.. i imagine if you already do online banking, you will have very little problem. i doubt it is a US card problem, but rather this new registration verification ( for any card) to avoid fraud.

i have also got the same window on malaysian airlines, etc.. so i have not been able to reserve ANYthing for our trip next week as far as internal airfare goes.

hoping to get it figured out today!!

yes, this is new as i bought online renfe tickets last month with zero problems.

good luck everyone

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Mara,
Thanks for your feedback. I'm really sorry that you couldn't book those WEB fares but at least you didn't have to spend a huge amount on that plane fare, thank goodness.

Hi lin,
Thanks too so much for your explanation. So incredibly frustrating, isn't it?
Makes sense that it's a new system problem with c.c. verification to prevent fraud rather than a specific US based credit card problem. Please keep us all posted (and hope you get that airline ticket sorted out ASAP!)
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 11:56 AM

went to my bank today and will TRY to buy the tickets tonight .. i am really getting tired of internet ticket buying.

too bad the airlines charge about 50 euros/ person to reserve on phone..( flight itself is only 80!!)

hope you all who need to have no difficulties registering your cards with your banks for online verification. good luck.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM

lincasanova - you said you are using Spanish bank cards. I have US Credit Cards and I'm not familiar with getting them verified. My cards are not from the bank where I do my online banking.

As I said I used three other Spanish sites - two airlines and the Alhambra ticket service - and my charges went through with very little trouble.

RENFE on the phone told me I couldn't use any US card on their website.

It really is a pain as nowadays one is so used to doing everything online....
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM

i really don't understand all this mess, myself.