Train from Lisbon to Paris?

Aug 13th, 1999, 05:23 AM
leechase

Train from Lisbon to Paris?

I'd like to know how much the train is from Lisbon to Paris and if it is direct. And also a return fare. Does anyone out there know of a web site where I can find out this info?
I'd appretiate any help.
Lee

Aug 13th, 1999, 06:10 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I imagine that it's a long trip, but if you don't mind traveling overnight, it might be OK.

Check out: www.sncf.com

Aug 13th, 1999, 11:05 AM
Jeanie

I would imagine it goes through Madrid, which is a night train only. We took this train ride and found it to be very strange. First of all, men and women are separated in sleeping compartments. Second, the tracks were so horrible that you basically couldn't sleep the whole night. it was loud and bumpy. This train ride was around 10 hours i think, so it would be really really far to Paris. Look into flying.

Aug 13th, 1999, 12:04 PM
gmf

We were on the Eurostar train from Paris to London on Sunday, and the girl sitting across from us had just taken the train from Lisbon to Paris ... she said that she had been on the train for 24 hours and that it was a horrible trip. I don't know if it was supposed to be 24 hours or if she had delays, but I do know that she was absolutely exhausted and said she never wanted to do it again! Not much help to you, but it is some food for thought ...

Aug 13th, 1999, 05:26 PM
leechase

Thanks to everbody for the help. Sounds like it isn't a very good idea!!
Back to the drawing board!
Lee

Aug 16th, 1999, 02:23 PM
Amy

Hey don't give up so easily! Check out www.cp.pt/servicos/c_inter. This is the website for the Portuguese railways. They have all the information you need for the train from Lisbon (or Porto) to Paris. You can even choose the English version so that you understand every detail! You will still have to convert the prices into dollars though. According to the map that they show, you have the choice of going through Madrid or not- you don't have to.
If I can help you with anything else, email me directly. I'm American (GO Arizona Wildcats!) and I've been living here for four years and have a little "inside" info, if needed
Good luck and enjoy Portugal!

Amy

Aug 16th, 1999, 05:05 PM
Ben Haines

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable, with the times you need on table 46. As to prices the January edition showed the basic price for seat only as 151 US dollars.

Now some times. The direct journey is long, 21 hours. Leave Lisbon Santa Apolonaria 1811, change at Irun at the Atlamtic end of the Pyrenees from 0910 to 0936, arrive Paris 1500. The Iberian train has a restaurant car and various berths: a couchette berth in a 6-berth mixed-sex compartment at a 20 dollar supplement, or a berth in a 3-berth sleeping compartment with washbasin and passengers divided by sex at 50 dollars. For 230 dollars basic fare from Lisbon to Paris and an 80 dollar supplement you can travel first class, and use a 2-berth compartment.

Then on the French train there's a 15 dollar supplement, and the train has a buffet car.

I'd take a break halfway. You can leave Lisbon at 1811, arrive at San Sebastian at 0836, put your bags in left luggage, leavce St Sebastian at 2137, change at the Pyrenees from 2200 to 2240, use a sleeper, and be in Paris at 0714. On the French night train the second class sleepers are 2 berths per cabin, at a supplement of 60 dollars a berth. For perhaps 20 percent more you can take the day's break in Madrid.

I ought to explain about single sex compartments. If you book a whole cabin you can be and sex or sexes yoiu choose. But as a single you are booked to be in a men's compartment or a women's, to allow you to change with decency into pyjamas.

Whether people sleep through track irregularities depends on them. I do. If the girl on the Eurostar used a seat all night from Lisbon to Irun then she would, indeed, be exhausted.

Please write if I can help further. I have on disc a note on night trains in Europe which I can send you by e-mail if you so ask.

Ben Haines, London