Cheese

Aug 15th, 1999, 01:12 PM
Kim Jacobs

Cheese

Does anyone know of a wonderful must not miss cheese experience in Italy or France, as we travel between Portofino, Tuscany and possibly Provence?

Aug 15th, 1999, 01:47 PM
Kathy

You're in for a wonderful treat as there are so many local cheeses! If you go to Provence, be sure and try the bannon cheese--it's an aged goat cheese wrapped in chestnut leaves which is fabulous. It's usually in 2" to 4" discs, and we even found some that was aged with pear eau de vie! Also saw your post on where to go--my husband and I spent 2 weeks in Provence this past spring, and it was truly unforgettable. We, too, like to get away from the cities. Although Aix was very pretty, we were awed by the majestic geography surrounding the Gorge du Verdon and the nearby charming town of Moustiers Ste. Marie--as I recall just a couple of hours NE of Aix. We stayed at the Bastide de Moustiers (do a search and check out their website), and they fixed us a truly unforgettable picnic lunch--complete with Limoges china and all manner of gourmet treats (including, of course, the cheese course!). One of the most fun things to observe is the presentation of the cheese course (should be in all caps!) in any French restaurant as it is taken VERY seriously--and rightfully so. We particularly loved trying all the different goat cheeses which vary tremendously from region to region. Most come from small farms, and you'll also see signs directing you to farms where you can purchase it directly from the producers. Haven't been to Italy in years, but I'm sure it's the same as far as regional cheeses go.

Aug 15th, 1999, 04:04 PM
catherine

What about one to miss.Roquefort the most foul smelling and foul tasting stuff I know.It stunk out the whole carriage on the TGV.
we had to throw it away after one tiny bite.I thought goat cheese was the worse.This stuff is made out of sheeps milk.It is VILE.
I like boring port salut and baby bel,bland and delicious.

Aug 16th, 1999, 07:37 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Goat cheese is made from sheeps milk? I don't get it.

Aug 16th, 1999, 07:48 AM
martha python

Catherine's being brief. She thought goat' milk cheese was the worst until she had Roquefort (which is made from sheep's milk).
I suspect that Kim, who is hunting out cheese, would not agree. The true cheese fan is not put off by pungency. Port Salut, etc., bear the same resemblance to real cheese that white chocolate bears to bittersweet. The former may be tasty, but it's not the real thing.

Aug 16th, 1999, 06:19 PM
Dayle

I like everything I've tried except Roquefort and Bleu - egads, the smell! Too much mold for me!