Dijon and Lyon for one week in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We, (my husband, 23 year-old daughter and I) are going to be in Lyon and Dijon for 8 nights the second week in March. We arrive in Paris Saturday early AM March 5 and go by train to Dijon for a few nights, then by train to Lyon for a few nights, and then by train Sunday morning to Paris for a mid-day flight Sunday March 13. We are staying in apartments in both cities. (We will not be spending time in Paris.) I am finalizing bookings and am not sure if we should spend 4 nights in each or 3 in Dijon and 5 in Lyon - so that is my question at the moment.

We spend most of our time in museums and walking around with a particular interest in architecture. We also love to eat in casual local restaurants. I have read about Stephane Derbord in Dijon and eating there might mean spending a 4th night in Dijon (Tues) since it is closed Sun and Mon and I expect we may be too tired to go Saturday night after traveling.

It probably doesn't matter that much but I was just wondering if people think there might be more to interest us in Lyon so that we should spend an extra night there. BTW, we often visit Paris and love it, have spent time driving around Burgundy and loved it, but have never been to Dijon or Lyon. We live in New York City.

Thanks for everyone's help- this forum is the best for researching and planning travel!
Kristin
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Just saw the prices for Stephane Derbord. I think lunch menu is more feasible considering the prices at dinner!
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 03:27 PM

Have you found your apartments yet? We will be staying in Lyon for about 1 week later in the year and I found nice looking apartments hard to come by. However, I have found the following website for Lyon apartments which looks great - but I must hasten to add we have not yet booked through them yet.
http://www.urbansejour.com/en/home

Hope you have a great trip!
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

We booked through Homeholidays and here is the link to the apartments in Lyon:

http://www.homelidays.co.uk/EN-Holid...fr/lyon_r3.asp

We chose a 2 bedroom apartment and this is the listing:

http://www.homelidays.co.uk/lyon/apa...-358696en1.htm

The owner speaks English and his communication is prompt and very helpful. I expect you will find something you like there! I will try to remember to post our experience in the apartment.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 04:00 AM

I might spend an extra day in Dijon so that I could visit Beaune. There is a local bus between the 2 cities. While Lyon has more museums, Beaune also has some interesting places to visit
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

PRLCH - I just looked at some of the apartments at the site you found. Actually, they are some of the more attractive ones I found. Good luck with your search!
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 12:55 PM

Please do share your experiences in the apartment (and anything else). We are not headig over until the end of the year, and a 2 bedroom would suit us well (as I am travelling with my 2 daughters for that leg of the trip).