Train from Frankfurt airport to Prague

Apr 14th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Train from Frankfurt airport to Prague

I want to take the train from Frankfurt to Prague. It looks like there is a train station right in the Frankfurt airport. How do I figure out what a 2nd class ticket will cost, and what time the trains depart? Can I just leave from the airport to take the train to Prague without having to go into the center of the city? Do I need to pre-purchase my train ticket, or can I wait until I arrive in Germany?
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:47 PM
sjk

To get accurate pricing info, you will probably have to email Deutche Bahn. Go to their website to check out different routes. Yes there is a train station at Frankfurt airport, but most of the trains heading out of the country connect from the main train station in the city. There are info offices at the airport that can help you get to the Hauptbahnhof in the city, and it is not very difficult to get to from the airport. You can purchase your ticket once you arrive.

DB website: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Apr 14th, 2003, 08:32 PM

There are several trains each day from the Frankfurt Airport to Prague.
I don't know what time you plan to leave, but there is a train that leaves the airport station at 12:02. There is one change in Nurnmbert and you arrive in Prage at 19:34.

There is another train at 13:03 that arrives at about 20:40 that involves 2 changes.

You can find out more details at this web page on the German rail web site:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/d

Click on English if you need to.

I am not sure how you find out the cost. Perhaps you can do it as indicated above.

International prices are rarely given on these web pages for some reason.

If you want to buy your ticket through the German rail site, you will need German language skills because the service is not available in English. You will also need to sign up in advance.

The only connection I have had trouble with in terms of getting a seat was on the Zuerich - Munich route. I bought two days ahead and had to make a choice between second class smoking and first class non smoking. That was something of a no brainer, even if I did have to pay more.

Good luck on this one. I think I could fight through the German if you need some help; I just bought a new English-German dictionary.
Apr 15th, 2003, 03:52 AM

http://www.bahn.de/ or the link Bob provided for the German railways web site. Click on 'Int. Guests' at the top and you'll get the English version. Prices for international travel are not shown in either the German or English versions.
Apr 15th, 2003, 04:30 AM

Rick Steves has a diagram of Europe showing 2nd class train prices between major cities. Altho all trains are not exactly the same price, he says that the Frankfurt-Prague trip would be $85. I would think that would be a fairly good estimate.
Apr 15th, 2003, 09:09 AM

Being routed to the international tab takes you to another shell screen that presents dialog boxes for the from and to stations. You end up at the same screen for the scheduler regardless.
The ticket purchasing step, regardless of language of origin, is all in German.
I looked over it, the German not difficult at all. Everything is clearly marked and expected type of information.
Apr 15th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Great info!
Aug 27th, 2004, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the useful website. I wanted to register to find out fare prices that are not listed. But on the registration page, I couldn't get pass the "telephone" field. I tried all sorts of formats to put in a US phone #, but it doesn't accept it.

Anyone has success with this please help.
Aug 27th, 2004, 01:29 PM

My husband recently took the train from Frankfurt to Prague. It was an overnight train both directions so he had max time both at work and at play for the weekend. Be aware that the train will stop at the czech border and change locomotives. the 'new' one will be much older, noisier, etc. You will also need to show your passport. Same on the way back except the german border authorities are a bit nicer and the replacement locomotive will be smoother!
Aug 27th, 2004, 03:44 PM

You may have to put the US phone number identifier in prior to your number...that would be 01 for the U.S. or perhaps just the number 1.

As to the locomotive changes mentioned above..yes, you will stop at the border for locomotive changes which take about 5-10 minutes. This route is "under wire" (electrified) and I've never encountered a "noisey" locomotive.

The passport check will be done ON THE TRAIN..the Czech Immigration officials will circulate through the train and ask for your passport...smooth operation and no cause for concern.
Aug 27th, 2004, 06:17 PM

Actually, as of sometime last fall (sping?), prices are listed for some international trips. When I searched FRA to Prague. I got prices ranging from EUR 72 - EUR 90 (the 12:02 mentioned above was EUR 76,60). This is for second class. You'll have to either click the "Abroad Terms" or you will be placed on that screen after choosing search.

There are limits as to what internatiomal fares it will give (I think the final leg must start in Germany), but it's quite useful.

Enjoy your trip,
Paul