Train from Florence to Venice?

Mar 9th, 2002, 01:33 PM
jenny

Train from Florence to Venice?

How long is the train trip from Florence to Venice? Would it be good to go to Venice just for the day, if you were staying in FLorence?

Mar 9th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Rex

Welcome to Fodors' Europe forum.

A whole lot of these very simple train questions lately, so I will repeat some of the basics. And I don't mean that there's anything wrong with newcomers coming here to ask these simple questions, though the answer can be found on many other posts.

The trip is about 2.5 hours. I'd encourage you to learn to use www.raileurope.com - - though it's not the place to buy a ticket like this (big markup on the price). You might also benefit from becoming familiar with www.fs-on-line.com

I would NOT recommend that you "day trip" to Venice from Florence - - much of the magic of Venice comes from the two best hours of the day - - the last hour before you go to bed, and the first hour after you wake up.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 9th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Myer

Rex is correct!!
If our only impression of Venice was the hour or two in the afternoon that we arrived, it would not have been very good. The evening, St Marks, walking the streets, the bands in St Marks, etc.

Visit the place and stay a day or two at least.

Mar 14th, 2002, 07:17 PM

to the top

Mar 15th, 2002, 07:49 AM
-...----

If you're seeking day trips outside of Florence, you'd be better served by going to Siena or Lucca. Both are closer than Venice. Any of these cities are easy to get to via train (check schedules on www.fs-on-line.com OR www.trenitalia.it). Or should you prefer to leave driving to others, I've seen positive comments on this forum re: Caftours (www.caftours.com) on their daytrip to Siena/San Gimignano.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:54 PM
Amy

Another vote for Caftours!