Reload this Page >

Train from Florence to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 07:54 PM
Deborah

I have a very tight itinerary for July; I would like to take the Eurostar train for a day trip to Rome from Florence. I've checked the timetable so I know it can be done. Do you think I would have to have reservations if I plan to travel second class? Or would first class be better? The most important part of my question is reservations. <BR> <BR>I know this sounds like a ridiculously short amount of time (from 10:30-8:00 in Rome!), but my daughter really wants to see Rome. (I've been there before, so I know we won't see everything.) <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Deborah

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Lesli

I believe that you must have a reservation on Eurostar regardless of what class you are travelling in. Regardless, I recommend them for this route, as the trains can be extremely crowded. (On a non-Eurostar train, I ended up standing in the aisle for part of the trip.) <BR> <BR>Second class is perfectly fine, if you are able to reserve seats.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 04:14 PM
Anne Battaglia

I just returned from Rome on Thursday. I took the train from Florence back to Rome a week ago. I strongly urge you to make a reservation in first class. July is a busy tourist month in Italy and I would definitely make a reservation. By the way, I don't blame your daughter for wanting to see Rome. It is so beautiful. I've been there several times and I never tire of it.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 05:24 AM
dave

I just returned from Rome on Sunday, April 2, 2000. I would advise to make reservations on first class. The train trip from Florence to Rome was enjoyable and comfortable in first class and we made reservations the day before we left.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 06:30 AM
cass

Can you MAKE a reservation this far in advance? All the websites only have information up to 5/27 and won't take any on-line purchases for any date after that. Can travel agents sell you reservations into July, Aug., Sept?

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 06:47 AM
Mary

Took this train just last week--I want to third make a reservation and do first-class; people without reservations stood which is not very fun. July will be even more crowded. <BR> <BR>Have a great time. You should have no trouble making reservationsI did it over the phone 6 months in advance. <BR> <BR>Mary

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 11:49 AM
Frank

You should have a reservation but how difficult depends on the day of the week and the time of day. Last year wandering around Italy for two weeks I usually got by 1-2 days in advance. I usually made my outgoing reservations at arival. <BR> <BR>My only problem was one segment where all the first class non smoking was taken and we went second class non smoking. <BR> <BR>Since you probably have a choice of day for the trip I wouldn't expect a problem. Personally, I'd make the reservations when I first reached Italy. Take cash to the station for the ticket. I never could manage to find an open window taking credit cards. Also the only trouble with ATMs was in train stations. <BR> <BR>As to the question about schedules. Unfortunately the end of May is a big schedule shift point. The sites should have the new information up in a couple of weeks.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 02:04 PM
Jim

Cass, <BR>Earliest you can make a train reservation is 2 months out. All Eurostar travel is by reservation. Second class is just fine. I would purchase tickets in advance from Der Travel, European rail travel representative in U.S. Bon Voyage.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 02:21 PM
sabrina

Deborah, <BR>It is highly do-able. I did the same thing last year, except I did Rome to Florence. Rode first-class -- I highly recommend it. The ride is less than 2 hrs. and the countryside is beautiful. We had enough time in Florence to see the Duomo, David and to shop in that fabulous, fabulous market. We came back to Rome loaded up with silk scarves, leather jackets and gloves, several bottles of Chianti (that are gracefully aging) and wonderful, wonderful memories of the best day trip ever. I'm sure the same will be true for you spending a day in Rome.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 12:19 PM
Lisa

Just came back from my honeymoon to Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan.... <BR>Took the train to all the cities.... <BR>Reservation? They mean nothing if you approach a full train. We had to wait 2 extra hours even with a "reservation" because the train was full! Be at the train before it gets there and be aggressive!