Reload this Page >

What do you think of these three hotels in Rome, Paris and London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 11:09 AM
mks

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the Dorset Square Hotel in London, the Hotel d'Aubusson in Paris (left bank) and the Raphael in Rome? Does anyone have better suggestions. We are looking for hotels that are smaller, somewhat luxurious but still with a lot of charm. Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel in Siena along these same lines. (Pretty nice and special) One more question: Does anyone have a better suggestion than Siena for a place to go between Rome and Paris? We will have about three days to get to Paris from Rome and I thought Siena might be fun. Any better ideas? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 11:59 AM
elaine

Siena is wonderful, but if I had to set priorities, Venice or Florence would be my recommendation.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 06:59 PM
paula

I can't comment on your choices, but I highly recommend Hotel St. Lazare in Paris. The lobby is breathtaking, service impecable, location superb (three metro lines converge at St. Lazare and the stop is within a block from the hotel) and the full buffet breakfast is grand enough to hold you until dinner. I can't say, however, that the hotel is cheap. I don't have an exact price because I booked it with airfare. We were just there last summer, my husband's and my first trip together, our first anniversary. The room had a great bathroom, large (two sinks) and a tub/shower with awesome water pressure. They have a website with pictures. I can't remember the exact interet address, but it's part of the Concorde Hotel chain, so try looking that way as well if you're interested.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 06:55 AM
Carol

I can't speak to London, but your Paris and Rome choices won't disappoint you. They're exactly what you describe. I don't have a Siena hotel to recommend but I do think it's a lovely choice for an in-between city. Venice is a suggestion I'd echo or you might want to consider the Italian lakes or Portofino or Cinque Terre.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 07:09 AM
Lori

Someone - maybe you? - asked about the Dorset Sq. recently. While I've not been in the hotel we rent an apartment right around the corner from it and it's a very good neighborhood in that it is away from the tourist stuff but very close to them - if that makes sense! The hotel faces a small park/square and is just about 3/4 blocks from Baker St. Underground & about 10 bus lines and a block or two to Marylebone Underground & Station. The hotel website looks very nice. It's also very close to Regent's Park. We like the neighborhood because we get to feel like "locals" there rather than tourists. It's extremely easy to get anywhere in London in a matter of minutes from Baker St.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 01:48 PM
Deena

You may want to search the listings on the forum for the Dorset Square. Someone did ask about this a few weeks ago. We stayed there and loved it. Rooms were small but were very luxurious. The staff was fabulous.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 04:39 AM
patty

My husband and I stayed at the D'Aubusson last month. The hotel is lovely right in the middle of things. The staff were friendly and helpful. We stayed in a deluxe room - comfortable bed, very quiet room, luxurious bathroom - but what's with the half-glass shower door? Breakfast was good although very pricey for what you get but there are many cafes in the area. If you stay there Rotisserie d' la face is right on rue Christine and is very good for dinner. Skip Le Tango right next door (on rue christine) although they served the most incredible appetizer I ever had in my life, foie gras on thinly sliced potatoes with mushrooms. Sooo good. My husband and I thought this is the restaurant that we discovered and that we will tell everyone about...but then the main course came...what a let down. Have fun.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 02:01 PM
Edna

We're staying at the Raphael in Rome in October. I've done alot of research and question-asking on various boards and it's supposed to be quite special. It's part of the Small Luxury Hotels chain and is just footsteps away from the Piazza Navonna. So what could be bad?!!!!