Train ? Brussels-Paris

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train ? Brussels-Paris

Am biting the bullet and have decided to take the Thalys rather than drive Brussels-Paris and back in Dec/Jan.

I really hate hate hate taking the train and prefer to drive as it it less fussy and I hate lugging crap needlessly, but anyway.

For booking, is there any preference over using http://www.thalys.com or http://www.raileurope.com? And any opinions as to whether it is worth spending more for the refundable ticket would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:31 AM

Last time I did this route (the opposite direction) I just bought a ticket when I arrived in Paris and got on the next train (3/hr at that time). Even though the Thalys require reservations, if the train isn't full, no problem. If you won't be traveling at a known busy time you might just wing it, show up at the station in Brussels, and get on the next train, for maximum flexibility.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If you can book ahead on the Thalys site, you can get a ticket for 27€ each way from the SNCB at the moment.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

I saw that price, though it is non-refundable and It still is 2 months out making it hard to decide what time time to leave.

Karouac, we are leaving Paris back to Brussels on a Friday, do you have any suggestions for time to go to avoid rush hour/train station congestion?

Andrew--did you pay full price just showing up? That would be my preference anyhow as I am bad with timeliness, but obviously would prefer to pay 27Euro rather than 80-some Euro each way...

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM

I did it a couple of years ago but I must have paid full price. I don't think it was nearly 80 Euros at that time, though. For 27 Euros, I'd probably book one speculatively now, based on your best guess, and eat that ticket if I couldn't make it. Do they have a ticket that is changeable but cheaper than full price?

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

I meant kerouac, not karouac. sorry.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

A semi-refundable is 47Euro, more but not outrageous.

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 12:00 PM

cherrybomb, I only wish that flying was as uncomplicated as taking the Thalys.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 12:47 PM

toupary6 wrote: cherrybomb, I only wish that flying was as uncomplicated as taking the Thalys.

Totally agree.

For my Brussels to Paris Thalys trip last year I bought my reservation on the day before in Amsterdam. The seat reservation cost €23, and I had a Eurail Pass.

cherrybomb says I hate lugging crap needlessly. Me too. One rolling 21" bag and a shoulder tote does it all. But my clothes and guidebooks are not "crap."

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM

If you're willing to take a Eurolines bus rather than a train, you can travel at the last minute for €19 each way. See www.eurolines.com.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 03:24 PM
ira

Dear CB,

Calm down before you explode.

I think that you are better off taking the train.

Buy your tickets from www.voyages-sncf.com

They have SMILYS fares as low as 27E each way.

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

I wish I could pack so light, but alas, between 2 of us it is 1 21", 1 rolling garment bag, a wine suitcase that is checkable, a laptop bag and my handbag-- all of which becomes "crap" when lugging around.

I actually find airports easier than train stations--I don't do connecting flight unless absolutely necessary and check my luggage--all I carry in the airport is my handbag. My husband carries the wine suitcase which we use on the way out to pack necessities in case there is lost luggage or delays and the laptop/bag. Can't do that on a train.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Ira--I'm hardly about to explode!

I am just grudgingly taking the train. If you recall my prior post months back--I hate the train, but am willing to do so to save time and $$.

Just wondering on preference for booking sites for train, as most people here seem to love the train and hate driving in Europe, I am the opposite.

To be honest--I actually hate carrying stuff on the train so much that I take a taxi to work instead of the subway if I am carrying more than my handbag and newspaper. Silly, most likely, but true, yes.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 05:31 PM

We just took the train in September and it was no problem. I booked a few weeks in advance and the 27 euro ticket was gone. Friday seems to be very busy. We took the lastest train back to Brussels so that might explain it. The refund is for half the ticket price. You can change the departure time once, but only before your journey begins.
Hope this helps.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 06:07 PM

If one hates the train that much, he/she should just drive. Why care about what we say here? Drive!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM

Train travelling is not for just anyone. One has to travel on a lighter side. Can't you just fly out of Bruxelles? Last month we flew to Zurich and took several train trips. We flew back home from Bruxelles.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Speed, price and possible weather issues had me reconsider the train. We may drive back from Paris if it is a burden i.e. I become a PIA about the whole thing--that is the only leg of concern because we will have more stuff we will have purchased in Paris.

Thanks for all the replies--will do the 27E tix as we have to be out of the hotel by non leaving Brussels making a 2pm train feasible and eat the Paris to Brussels back if necessary.