Train and Rental Car Information

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into London for 6 days and then want to take a train to Edinburgh with a stop in York. I read somewhere?? that you can take a train that does that. Which one? Can this be done in one day so we can get to Edinburgh by evening? Also, I now find out Edinburgh is really crowded because of all the festival activities going on. I usually love happenings like this but we do need to see Edinburgh too. What do you recommend as a place to stay? I suppose Priceline is out of the question because the hotels are probably getting their top prices. Would it be hard to stay outside of Edinburgh? We are going to rent a car when we are done there and drive around ending in Glasgow. Can we take a plane from there to Shannon? I checked Easy Jet and it doesn't look like it. Who flys there? We were going to take the rental car on the ferry to Belfast but was recommened not to because of the cost. As you can see I need help!
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:00 AM

TTT
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:04 AM

Try Ryanair
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:12 AM

All trains that go direct between London (Kings X station) and Edinburgh stop at York, about half way on the 4.5 journey. Lockers in York's station for you bags and the station is right in the heart of town - take a few hour stroll around, see the fabulous York Minster (cathedral) and get back on the train. Note however that discounted online tickets may not allow stopovers so the stop could cost you lots of pounds as you may have to buy a much higher price ticket. Schedules and buying online: www.thetrainline.com or www.nationalrail.co.uk
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:13 AM

And though you can fly quicker the train ride, especially from York on is one of the most scenic in Britain as it often hugs the coast and provides spectacular coastal scenes the few hours before Edinburgh.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
When is this trip? And how long do you hope to stay in Edinburgh?

I assume in August since you mention the festivals. Most hotels/B&Bs in and w/i a reasonable commute of Edinburgh are fully booked.

If it were me planning at this late date, I'd book a room some distance away for a couple of days. Someplace like Stirling - so you can tour Stirling Castle and also take the train into Edinburgh for a day trip.

And for any sort of discounted fares you'll need to book separate tix London > York and York > Edinburgh
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 08:21 PM

better check the cost of insurance should you decide to bring a rental car to Northern Ireland.

I believe both Visa and MC exclude that location from their rental car coverage.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:34 AM

As Edinburgh will be busy I would suggest accommodation in the West side of the city near to Murrayfield. It is within walking distance of Princes Street, is a nice residential area and is on the main bus route / car route into the city from the Airport. It is also on the main route to the train stations at Waverley and Haymarket. You are just outwith the parking restrictions and on the right side of the city when you want to head away with a car and travel throughout Scotland.
The Murrayfield Apartment in Murrayfield Avenue - www.edinburgh-map.co.uk would be worth a try and it is a few minutes walk from the car hire depots in Roseburn Street. They still have availability.